Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post. I got all the info I needed to get started here. What a wealth of knowledge here!

Here's what I have. I have an 03 Rappy and I just installed the Yoshi RS-3 full exhaust, Dynajet (FMF) stage 2 jetkit, and K&N filter (which I already had). I live in Colorado Springs and most of my riding will be around 5,800' and in many cases above 6,000'. I used the main jets in the kit that were recommended for 6000'+ and my pin setting is 4. I also cut off the rubber flaps on the snorkel as stated in instructions. I went with 2.5 turns on both fuel screws. Does 2.5 turns sound about right for this altitude? I really haven't had a chance to run it, but starting it up and throttling it up sounded fine. I should be able to tell if it was running too rich or lean right? Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
299 Posts
2.5 sounds about right, im in albuquerque at 5500ft and i use roughly 2.5 but on 25 pilots
try it out and see how it runs, backfires and pops on sharp decel usually means ur lean, bog right off idle when gettin on throttle usually means ur rich

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I ran the factory pilots in mine just fine with roughly the same mods and altitude (I'm just over the hill in Grand Junction). I was at 2.5 - 3 turns on my air screws. I just recently went to 25 pilots when I did the clear tube tuning in an attempt to get that last little bit I needed to beat my buddies DS650.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
With a lid on and modified snorkel at that altitude you should be able to get away with factory pilots at 2.5 or 3 turns. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mine seemed to be fine with no lid. Could the FMF exhaust have been limiting it enough to no need to 25's?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
russ said:
Mine seemed to be fine with no lid. Could the FMF exhaust have been limiting it enough to no need to 25's?
We had the FMF on a guys bike here, got by with stock pilots during the summer but had to get 25's for winter. No-lid K&N pro-design w/ outerwear and stage 1 hotcam.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mad Dog Beyond Thunderdome said:
russ said:
We had the FMF on a guys bike here, got by with stock pilots during the summer but had to get 25's for winter. No-lid K&N pro-design w/ outerwear and stage 1 hotcam.
Also consider that I'm at about 4600 feet elevation and Scout is even higher.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Since we are on this Topic I Am At
2200ASL and i am @ 4 turns a/f
No Lid, Duels Exaust, Web Cam, 160/165 Mains and 25 Pilots Does this Sound Like to much?

I Ask Cuz I am about three seconds away from losing my mind with 2 Carbs.... Thinkin Bout Going to the DarkSide :eek:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Honda has twin Carbs? ( Kidding)

No I Am a Raptor Optamist but efi Is lookin betta everyday

But lookin Pretty Hard at that New Kawi

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Like they said, since we are on the topic... I currently have only an UNI air filter but my Yoshi RS3 full is on the way with my DJ jet kit and the proflow foam. I usually ride at around 4500 ft ASL but go to the beach a couple of times a year and also go up to 10000ft a couple of times. What do you recommend? with lid, without lid?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was taking the bike for a spin the other day and it seems a slight bit delayed getting out of the hole in first gear when i lay on the throttle. after the slight delay it gets on it and hauls ass. it's kinda hard to explain what i'm talking about but i'm sure some of yall know what i mean. is that normal or would it help to go to 3 turns on the fuel screws vs. 2.5 turns at this altitude of ~6000'?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rapt0rMan said:
immediate throttle response = air screw needle thingy jigger (technical term, seriously).

immediate throttle response is the term i was looking for. thanks raptorman. what would i need to adjust to get it right? or would it help to remove my filter box lid? i don't currently have an outerwear.

G

·
Scoutdriver said:
Rapt0rMan said:
immediate throttle response = air screw needle thingy jigger (technical term, seriously).

immediate throttle response is the term i was looking for. thanks raptorman. what would i need to adjust to get it right? or would it help to remove my filter box lid? i don't currently have an outerwear.
Removing your lid won't help at this point cause all that will do is give you more air and then you will have to re-jet. Right now it sounds kinda like an idle issue. When you start your bike does will it stay started or does it cut out a few times before its warm???

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hammo686 said:
Since we are on this Topic I Am At
2200ASL and i am @ 4 turns a/f
No Lid, Duels Exaust, Web Cam, 160/165 Mains and 25 Pilots Does this Sound Like to much?

I Ask Cuz I am about three seconds away from losing my mind with 2 Carbs.... Thinkin Bout Going to the DarkSide :eek:
Sounds lean, i run a 170/175 at 1200ft with a single CT system. I'd bump to at least a 165/170

Scoutdriver said:
it stays running, but it has cut off before. it also seems to idle fast in neutral.
You can adjust the idle with the gold screw (with a spring around it) that points down. It's right next the fuel tank petcock, where the throttle cable connects to the carbs. Loosening decreases your idle, I believe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts