Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've read quite a few other threads about the Full Fiber Clutch Mod but I wanted to start my own thread to confirm some things and hopefully solidify the information I've read and heard so that I am confident doing the upgrade as well as anyone else in the future that refers to the forum. I'll state what I know about the mod and then some things I want to confirm, any other input is much appreciated.

-The Full Fiber Clutch Mod involves changing the inner most clutch fiber out from a half fiber (stock) to a full fiber that is identical to the other 7 plates before the half fiber one.

-In order to remove the half fiber there is a metal clip that goes around the clutch boss and secures the last half fiber as well as a metal clutch plate and two metal rings (referred to as a seat plate, and a cushion spring by the manual.)

-After removing all clutch pack components clutch should be reassembled minus the two metal rings referred to above and the metal clip that retained them. So, the clutch pack would then consist of, from the boss inner surface out, a full fiber plate to replace half fiber followed by a metal plate, then repeat process.

-Other misc. tips, don't forget to soak new clutch pack in NEW oil, etc. any other tips anyone can provide would be great.

I've done the clutch on the 700 but just did an EBC kit on a friend's quad that came with a replacement half fiber in the clutch pack and stiffer springs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget about that little wire in there too, it DOESN'T need to go back in. Unless that is one of the things you were referring too.
Yeah, I was referring to that as the metal clip that retains them, wire is a lot more accurate way to describe that tiny little thing haha.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time I did the mod I got so mad at that thing :lol: just wanked it out with pliers.
That's the right way to do it in my opinion haha, the first time I pulled it out I sat there and spent 10 minutes with a pick trying to carefully push it down through that tiny hole and it was so frustrating haha. I'm stoked to get rid of that whole mess and get some more holding power.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Good to know this. I bought the full upgrade kit from TQS and just need to install. Stock clutch in here still with the power it now produces it should help hold better.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
If there is nothing on the site with pictures or on you tube I will do a how to when I do mine...

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,573 Posts
You're on the right track, but a little more info for you. The extra fiber doesn't have to be the same brand/style. The YFZ clutch fibers and plates will fit the 700, but won't have the half fiber in the kit, so it may be cheaper. There is a street bike kit that fits, but I can't remember what one. Be sure the oil used is wet clutch compatible. After install, check the adjustment several times as everything seats in. "ALWAYS" be sure you have some free play at the case clutch lever!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll get some pictures of mine when I do it as well and hopefully we can make this thread into something useful for all of us!

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
You're on the right track, but a little more info for you. The extra fiber doesn't have to be the same brand/style. The YFZ clutch fibers and plates will fit the 700, but won't have the half fiber in the kit, so it may be cheaper. There is a street bike kit that fits, but I can't remember what one. Be sure the oil used is wet clutch compatible. After install, check the adjustment several times as everything seats in. "ALWAYS" be sure you have some free play at the case clutch lever!!
Yfz clutch also has the small fiber.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did mine about 5 years ago. Love it. I don't know why and no one else does either but it now acts like a lockout clutch. Just grabs. On or off. Very hard to slip the clutch now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some pictures when I did mine this afternoon, removing the old gasket material left behind was an hour long job, other than that it went smooth.
Pulled oil filter and water pump

Cover pulled

Pressure plate pulled

Clutch pack removed, before removing half fiber

Half fiber, two rings, and retaining wire to remove

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Got some pictures when I did mine this afternoon, removing the old gasket material left behind was an hour long job, other than that it went smooth.
Pulled oil filter and water pump

Cover pulled

Pressure plate pulled

Clutch pack removed, before removing half fiber

Half fiber, two rings, and retaining wire to remove

When you put it back together, you should use a re-usable gasket. Save you from having to remove it next time.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Those pictures were worth a thousand words, lol. If anyone else wants to chime in concerning this feel free. I am going to put this up as a sticky since there is not one up. This is good info.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,573 Posts
After you drain the oil, reinstall the plug. Then tip the quad over on the opposite wheels and support it there. Then, pull the clutch cover. That will prevent the oil dripping on the frame and floor. This works with any bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just performed this mod on a 2014 700R, there was no wire retainer to be found. Checked the microfische and it was not present there either. Did they change this at some point?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So full fiber, clutch plate, then the half fiber followed by the rest of the full fibers and plates?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Should ditch that half fiber and get a full fiber. If I recall that's what I did.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts