Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 04 raptor ..i had a problem with it starting after not riding it for a long time...i cleaned the carb out really well and it started right up and ran fine..but when im in full throttle i lose power and it sputters...any ideas?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Second, is that gas degrades slightly over long periods. drain out gas and replace with fresh petro. or get a bottle of stablilzing agent, dry gas to put in.
Personally I'd drain the tank. Drain it into something thats clean, so if its not the problem, you still have your gas.
It could be a number of things, but thats a start for now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thks for the reply..but yes air filter is clean and the gas is fresh...let me give u a little background..

i didnt ride my quad for about 6 months..when i tried to start it the engine would start with the choke on but would die when the choke was off...someone suggested cleaning the carb. so i did....i cleaned it well including all the jets, needles, etc. after that the engine would start easily without the choke and i was able to ride it but when in 3rd and 4th gear full throttle the engine would lose power and it would sputter..

i put in fresh gas and cleaned the filter(pro design k&N) and put in new plug. ill double check the filter because u r the 2nd person who said to check the filter.

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated thks

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
It's very important to check the seals on the intake tract, both the carb boots and the seating of the diaphrams in the tops of the carbs. I'd also make sure the floats are adjusted correctly. It's hard to know from the computer whether your bike is getting too much or too little fuel, or if that's even the problem but it's a good place to start.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm thks maddog ill double check all the boot seals and filter seal...sorry im kinda mechanically challenged..what do u mean by adjusting the float? and how do i do that? thks again :)

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Check the sticky at the top of the 660 mods forum for the floats, carb mods and clear tube explained I think it's called. Freeze is the originator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts