Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this annoying problem for a while. let's say I'm ready to start my bike (2003 Raptor). I open gas valve, and then right away i have gas leaking through one of my carburetor overflow hoses.
I tried fixing it by replacing needle valve and needle valve seat (5LP-14107-20-00) inside my carburetor and it seemed that the problem went away, but now one month later is back. I also checked the floats to make sure they float and they looked ok.
What do I do to fix it for good? What is the most common cause for that? Thanks!

·
I am unique
22,612 Posts
I've had this annoying problem for a while. let's say I'm ready to start my bike (2003 Raptor). I open gas valve, and then right away i have gas leaking through one of my carburetor overflow hoses.
I tried fixing it by replacing needle valve and needle valve seat (5LP-14107-20-00) inside my carburetor and it seemed that the problem went away, but now one month later is back. I also checked the floats to make sure they float and they looked ok.
What do I do to fix it for good? What is the most common cause for that? Thanks!
If you are sure that your float level is good, and you don't have any dirt in the needle's seat area, remove the seat, the brass part that sits in the carb which is sealed with an oring and check the condition of the oring, it may be dried out and cracked..........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are sure that your float level is good, and you don't have any dirt in the needle's seat area, remove the seat, the brass part that sits in the carb which is sealed with an oring and check the condition of the oring, it may be dried out and cracked..........
I already replaced needle valve set (2). I'm not sure what part are you talking about. Can you point me to a diagram? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
If fuel is coming out of your vent lines your floats are not regulating the fuel flow to the proper level or the needle is leaking.
http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=49493&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2004&fveh=1215
The needle seat set number 29 includes a rubber o-ring in which Willy says may be cracked and/or leaking. If you install the o-ring to tight and tear it then fuel may leak past also causing the bowls to overflow. Nonetheless, remove the carbs, clean them, inspect the needle seats and if you have a parts washer place a funnel on the fuel line and pour parts washer fluid into the line and test the floats to assure they are working properly and set at the proper height.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If fuel is coming out of your vent lines your floats are not regulating the fuel flow to the proper level or the needle is leaking.
http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=49493&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2004&fveh=1215
The needle seat set number 29 includes a rubber o-ring in which Willy says may be cracked and/or leaking. If you install the o-ring to tight and tear it then fuel may leak past also causing the bowls to overflow. Nonetheless, remove the carbs, clean them, inspect the needle seats and if you have a parts washer place a funnel on the fuel line and pour parts washer fluid into the line and test the floats to assure they are working properly and set at the proper height.
i replaced the "item number 29" on both carbs; it cames as a set with needle, seat and o-ring. i guess i need to keep digging. thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
The ONLY way fuel gets into the bowl is through the float valve. If the bowl is overflowing, the ONLY possibilities are:

1) Leaking float valve - dirty, damaged rubber tip on float needle, or scratch on float seat face

2) Leaking float valve seat o-ring - cracked, worn, or debris stuck under it prior to tightening

3) Float adjusted too high - bend the tang to set proper height

4) Float stuck - check alignment of float on mounting pin

5) Damaged float - crack/leak allows fuel to get inside float which prevents it from floating on top of fuel in bowl

It will be one of these

·
Registered
383 Posts
pita, mine started last ride. I thought maybe the float was sticking so after shutting off the gas at the petcock, I tapped the carb bowl with a screwdriver. was fine til today when I changed my jets. I actually took the seat off and there was all types of gunk/powder like it'd been sitting with ethanol gas in it... so I cleaned it out and it stopped for a little while like less than 3 minutes but it started again. not as much as a steady strong flow but still flowing pretty good.

tomorrow I'll pick up some clear fuel line and do the clear tube mod and play with the carbs again gotta get more carb cleaner so I'll shoot it out better after that too...

·
Registered
893 Posts
lol ill just keep turning my gas valve off lololol
You realize you just posted on a three year old thread??? Turning the gas off is not a fix. If it is leaking by, it can cause a rich mixture, flooding, washing the cylinders down causing ring damage, oil contamination, etc.

·
I am unique
22,612 Posts
You realize you just posted on a three year old thread??? Turning the gas off is not a fix. If it is leaking by, it can cause a rich mixture, flooding, washing the cylinders down causing ring damage, oil contamination, etc.
Its 3 1/2 years old.............:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to buy a raptor from this guy and he told me that gas leaks from the carburetor and I don't know nothing about it just seeing if anyone can help what could the worse case be wrong with it and what is the most it would cost.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
needles and seat prolly need replaced. costs about 20 bux per carb, so about 40 bux for both. not hard to change if ur at least slightly mechanically inclined...

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
Worst case? Clean the carbs, replace the float valves and valve seat o-rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts