Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock 01 660.
Run regular gas or premium with no ethanol?

Service manual just says "UNLEADED GAS ONLY" not really which kind.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will running prem gas be better or hurt it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a gas station right near my house with no E in it. =D spendy though but worth it if itll make my quad run better for longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
pure-gas.org..theres one near me too. It sucks when your lawnmowers, generators, and any toy with a motor sit a whole season and then nothing starts 5 months later. Not to mention it eats fuel lines. I think its worth every penny to put in your toys.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
For me, I use premium 92 octane with no ethanol. I realize that regular 87 octane is fine on a stock motor, but ethanol free is only available in premium where I live. You will not have any problems with the higher octane, but the fuel containing ethanol can definitely cause problems. It seems to eat up fuel lines and leave the garbage in your jets.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Great info thanks all. 8)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Regular is all (the octane) that is necessary, period.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I love these posts where people claim ethanol damages carbs, fuel lines, and causes problems.

The only probelm that would be remotely related to ethanol would be moisture in the fuel system since it can attract moisture. The problem isn't ethanol it is improper gasoline storage.

If ethanol is so dangerouse and harmfull then why can it be put in the Human Body? Vodka is 80 proof or 40% ethanol by volume. That is a lot stronger than the measly 10% that is in a gallon of gasoline.

Ethanol Eats Fuel lines but doesnt eat your throat.

Another one I like is how people say it starts to turn back to corn. Next time your in the liquer store. Find that old nasty bottle of everclear. Probably covered in dust with a sun faded lable. I can garuntee that there is no solids floating in it. It has not turned in to a gel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
vodka only contacts your throat for a second, not sit on it constantly for hours/days/months.......and the liqour bottle would be sealed , unlike inside the fuel lines and what not....lol im just tryin to argue

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
I have never had any problems with leaving fuel in my lines in the past. Once we started using ethanol in our fuel, my carbs started plugging up with some black gunk and the fuel lines were cracking from the inside. This is with zero change in my fuel storage procedures. I don't claim to know much about chemistry, but maybe its just a coincidence that I started having problems with all of my small gas engines when the fuels changed...

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I love these posts where people claim ethanol damages carbs, fuel lines, and causes problems.

The only probelm that would be remotely related to ethanol would be moisture in the fuel system since it can attract moisture. The problem isn't ethanol it is improper gasoline storage.

If ethanol is so dangerouse and harmfull then why can it be put in the Human Body? Vodka is 80 proof or 40% ethanol by volume. That is a lot stronger than the measly 10% that is in a gallon of gasoline.

Ethanol Eats Fuel lines but doesnt eat your throat.

Another one I like is how people say it starts to turn back to corn. Next time your in the liquer store. Find that old nasty bottle of everclear. Probably covered in dust with a sun faded lable. I can garuntee that there is no solids floating in it. It has not turned in to a gel.
We don't mess with that weak ass everclear round these parts we get that shine pure white lightning
vodka only contacts your throat for a second, not sit on it constantly for hours/days/months.......and the liqour bottle would be sealed , unlike inside the fuel lines and what not....lol im just tryin to argue
shine touches my throat for a few seconds every minute of every hour of everyday of every week of every month of every year everyday I'm not at work. Lol now my question does my 110 have ethanol? Just curious and dude I long arguing everyday of every week of every month of every year. I think I ran out of places for every so damn :haha: I'm an asshole
#realtalk

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts

Ethanol is the cause of that moisture being collected in the system. Issues can arise even without letting a can of it or a carbed old car sit for 6months.

I guess I don't follow the relevance of the human body comparison. The deterioration of components in auto fuel systems is a proven fact in older cars, which is why for the last 20 years or so they have used different components for these systems. it's also why there was so much research done this past year or two in order to determine how older and newer cars could cope with a hike to the planned 20% ethanol.

And the 660 is one of the machines they designed and tested when ethanol was used in standard road fuels. I have no concern that ethanol in the gas at the local corner store will cause any problems in my machine that wouldnt already happen regardless of whether or not it contains 15% ethanol. It's the e85 that I would not run myself.

Same thing with the octane. Unless I'm in death valley in summer I am pretty sure 87 will always do the trick on stock engines.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I guess I don't follow the relevance of the human body comparison. The deterioration of components in auto fuel systems is a proven fact in older cars, which is why for the last 20 years or so they have used different components for these systems. it's also why there was so much research done this past year or two in order to determine how older and newer cars could cope with a hike to the planned 20% ethanol.
You have to replace fuel system parts on older cars regardless of what fuel you run. Rubber degrades over time. It would happen if you run no fuel through it at all. Just like tires getting weather checked.

Carburetors and Fuel tanks are natrual places for water to collect. You can get moisture in a regular fuel as well. Condensation can form in a fuel tank with regular fuel. It also happens inside the engine as well. That is one reason why they recomend chagning oil based on a time frame in addition to mileage.

The part about the human body was to show that it isnt that nasty. You would think it would be worse than battery acid the way some people preach. Rubber deterorates and some people seem to think it is from ethanol vs the fact that is just happens.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
We ran E85 a couple years ago with out problems, BUT you must jet accordingly...........
The problem arises when the Ethanol and water combine, and this water can come right out of the atmosphere and be absorbed by the ethanol, so we plugged the vents after use, and we ran the engines until the fuel was depleted from the carbs............
We used quality fuel lines and made sure that the tank and carbs were clean before use. I have used ethanol and methanol for years now to clean the carbs.......and it works great............
If you have an older vehicle or bike that has gum deposits in the tank, fuel lines or carb from old GAS, and you use ethanol, the ethanol will clean all this crap out for you............
When you use Fuel that contains ethanol, you may need to up your jetting, with E85 you will need to supply almost twice as much fuel to the engine to make it burn at the proper A/F ratio............But you will be impressed with the better bottom end power and slight better top end power.................

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you have an older vehicle or bike that has gum deposits in the tank, fuel lines or carb from old GAS, and you use ethanol, the ethanol will clean all this crap out for you.............
Or lead you to the conclusion that ethanol is very bad, and must have caused this junk to form. When all it really did was knock the junk loose.

Before winter I run a tank full of E85 through my vehicles. (All fuel injected but not flex fuel(E85)). Since ethanol mixes with water it will remove water from the fuel system. That way it doesnt freez and block a fuel line. Look at a bottle of heat. All it is is alachol.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Or lead you to the conclusion that ethanol is very bad, and must have caused this junk to form. When all it really did was knock the junk loose.

Before winter I run a tank full of E85 through my vehicles. (All fuel injected but not flex fuel(E85)). Since ethanol mixes with water it will remove water from the fuel system. That way it doesnt freez and block a fuel line. Look at a bottle of heat. All it is is alachol.
I use straight methanol to thaw out air brake systems in trucks, works super, I would use ethanol, but I cant get it without the gas in it...........:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts