Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a quick question. I recently ordered a complete Cometic gasket kit on ebay, and when it arrived today, I see that it is the 102mm kit. I emailed the company I bought it from to point this out to them, and their response was this:

"C7799 is the only complete cometic that we carry. If you're using it on a 100-102mm it will be just fine. Anything larger, and you'll need a larger head gasket."

My question is, is this statement true? Or is this seller just trying to blow smoke? I appreciate the help in advance!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Correct, as far as I remember.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. I was thinking I would need a new head gasket regardless, since the one they sent me is for a 102mm.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The cometic 102 kit works on everything from 100-102, straight from cometic's customer service and I can vouch for it as I've used a half dozen or so of these kits.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No problem with using that 102mm gasket on a 100mm bore...........

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I just wanted to make sure. I was already quite upset about the fact that they gave me a tracking number that NEVER showed any information, and if they sent me the wrong kit, I think I was going to blow a gasket myself. I figured that before I really lost it, I better get on here and use the ever so knowledgeable forum members. I wish I would have made a bet with someone as to who was going to answer my question. Should have bet the farm on QM, MD, and Willy. Damn!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yea it will be fine. You should have opted for a Cometic EST gasket kit. The head gasket is multi layer and is a heavy duity gasket. They are only in a top end gasket kit. Not a complete gaket kit. You could always buy the stator and clutch cover gasket seperatly.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yea it will be fine. You should have opted for a Cometic EST gasket kit. The head gasket is multi layer and is a heavy duity gasket. They are only in a top end gasket kit. Not a complete gaket kit. You could always buy the stator and clutch cover gasket seperatly.
I use the head gasket from the full gasket kit and split it apart and get 2 gaskets out of it. That was a great trick I learned from Willy:D Then I can tear the top end of a couple times and buy no gaskets

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The EST is great, but I haven't experienced any head gasket failures with pump gas compressions using the regular Cometic gaskets in 100, 102, and 105 mm bores on my bike and others with stock head bolts. I have never tried to split any one gasket into many and actually use it as the only gasket though, and probably wouldn't since I don't tear the head apart that terribly often if I can help it nor am I particularly concerned with reducing the deck height especially since I'm usually trying to stick to pump gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts