Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Gaskets Part #'s Raptor 660 (2001-2005)

if you dont replace a gasket, and you lose oil, but keep refilling it, will it come to a point where it will cause damage to your engine?

·
Registered
343 Posts
i couldn't find a 32mm at the local auto parts store so i think i've been using a 1 1/4 in. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
jlraska said:
i couldn't find a 32mm at the local auto parts store so i think i've been using a 1 1/4 in. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
32 millimeters = 1.25984252 inches :thumbsup:

The bike is metric so obviously 32mm is preferred but I've used a 1 1/4 socket before and it worked fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is there a certain way that you need follow in order to change the sprocket? I haven't really researched too much so flame away. I just bought a new front sprocket along with the rear and a chain. I know how to do the rear but am just curious about the front because I don't want to mess anything up; assuming this sprocket is what drives the transmission. Is there a write up or is it just common sense? Like put it into gear or something like that.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Youll want the bike in neutral to prevent gear damage. You will most likely need to move the peg out of the way, then you want to remove the cover and then bend the tabs holding the nut tight, you can use a breaker bar and hit it with a hammer to break it lose or an impact gun and remove the nut. Then remove sprocket, and if you need to replace seal, youll want to remove the two 10mm bolts and remove the holder and pull the spacers out that was right behind the spocket and from here you can remove and put new seal in. After this, just put your new sprocket on, place the holder and tighten nut and bend tabs back and put the rest back together

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't need to replace the seals, just the sprockets and chain; thanks for the help. Is there anyway of hurting the seals when taking the sprocket off?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No, the seal is covered by the holder with 2 10mm bolts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I need am going to change my front and rear sprockets along with the chain next weekend. Do I need anything special to pull the sprocket off? Do I need a gear puller or anthing like that or will it come off easily once the nut is loosened? I have to do this to my 2002 Raptor and also my 1999 Banshee. Is the job the same for both machines?

·
Registered
261 Posts
it should come right off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oil leaking

I removed the sprocket oil seal etc. Is the yellow surrounding the shaft the bearing? I have a small chunk missing out of it and want to know if it is the bearing or something else. Do you have to split the case to replace it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts