Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put my new xc masters on and I’ve got a ridiculous wobble below 20mph on pavement.

They were crushed really bad during shipping, which I know is normal, but I’m looking at it and my rear right tire looks lopsided when I’m driving. Strange because above 20mph it goes away.

Does it just need breaking in or what?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,043 Posts
I've tried twice to PM you without success. It says you disabled incoming messages.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried twice to PM you without success. It says you disabled incoming messages.
Alright I should have it fixed now. Thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured it out, it’s a manufacturer defect. Returned and waiting for new one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Figured it out, it’s a manufacturer defect. Returned and waiting for new one.

I had a bad one also when mine came in a pair. Not sure if it was a defect or just the stupid way they wrapped them together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mine do the same thing except above 60 or so on pavement. So I just stay off pavement now :smile

·
11,043 Posts
Mine do the same thing except above 60 or so on pavement. So I just stay off pavement now :smile
Your problem might be tire balance. Check with a tire store and see if they balance ATV tires/wheels. Some places will do it for $10 each or less if carried in.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would but I don't really ride on pavement and my XC Masters are on Alba beadlocks. It's a cheap setup that does it's job for where I ride. Leave well enough alone kinda thing.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I received the new tire, had it mounted, and this one is lopsided too! In a different shape though and less pronounced at least.
What are the odds? I mean seriously...another oval shaped tire?
I’m wondering if it’s my wheel, but it’s hard to believe that. It was fine before I swapped, and although I wasnt that easy on her, I just can’t see damaging it so bad it’s oval shaped. Plus, I jacked her up and let her idle in gear and it’s as true as I can tell. Axle is straight too.

What to do?

·
11,043 Posts
So, I received the new tire, had it mounted, and this one is lopsided too! In a different shape though and less pronounced at least.
What are the odds? I mean seriously...another oval shaped tire?
I’m wondering if it’s my wheel, but it’s hard to believe that. It was fine before I swapped, and although I wasnt that easy on her, I just can’t see damaging it so bad it’s oval shaped. Plus, I jacked her up and let her idle in gear and it’s as true as I can tell. Axle is straight too.

What to do?
I would put the frame on blocks or jack stands. Then, take a wire coat hanger and shape it into a pointer with a base to stand on the floor. Put the pointer at the wheel edge, outside and inside, spin the opposite tire and look for deviations. Best with a helper to spin. You might check the axle end too.

Even swap the tires side to side. AND, check the axle bearings too.

·
11,043 Posts
The tire bead has a stiff wire around it and can get bent when compressed for shipping or when mounting. Being bent could cause wobble and some are difficult to straighten.

Be sure both beads are seated completely.

Using a pneumatic tire changer could have bent the wheel center or outer lips.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I’ll check run out today when I get back from the city. Thats a good idea. The first time I did use a manual bead breaker though and it was still wobbly.
I can see it’s out of round looking at it from the back. The tread goes up and down while it’s turns and stays true side to side. Will report back later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many psi are you guys running in these btw? I’ve got 4 in the rear and the tire has an evident dip in the middle. Wouldn’t think that’s under inflated but maybe that’s why one is acting so wobbly?

·
11,043 Posts
Check the sidewall of the tire for operating pressure. 4psi may be low especially in the rear. Try 6-8psi. Double check the accuracy of your gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts