Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to create a gear position indicator or if someone has already developed a gear position sensor for a Raptor 660. The bike is my wife's (formally mine), and she is sort of learning how to ride, so I would like to add this to make it easier on her. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Another streetbike rider was trying to rig something up on this site, I believe for the 700R but I haven't heard any updates.

I don't know of any commercially availible aftermarket gear indicators for the 660 or any other manual clutch sport quad. I do know some utility atvs with an automatic clutch and manual shift have gear indicators though, but I have absolutely no idea how they work and whether they'd be adaptable.

BTW, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah, I am a prior streetbike rider and have seen this mod before, just not on a raptor. I wasnt sure if the raptor has a gear position sensor, because if it does then we could find out the schematic and maybe go from there. Any other input? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
obviously theres a positioning sensor for the reverse gear, and ive herd something recently about a speed limiter on the 660 when in 5th gear, so theres probably a sensor for 5th gear. but i doubt there would be one for the rest of the gears as it would serve no purpose

I think you would have to design something near the shifter that would count and keep track of how many times you shifted down and up and somehow display it

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
This will work, but a little expensive and youll need something like the vapor or endurance or something that measures rpm and speed. http://www.riderstation.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=DG8 It compares the rpms to the speed and is custom set to your engine, one wire goes to tach and other goes to speed and one goes to neutral light, I would get it but I dont feel like being the $100 guinea pig, heres the manual for it http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/upload/acumen/files/acumen_dg8_02_2004web.pdf

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
never heard of that :confused:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
firstraptor said:
I personally use "the pull up with your foot till fear sets in" method
Seriously, if i ever get lost, I slam it down all the way to first (clutch in, of course) and count up to where i need to be. Or I just guess and listen to the engine. She should probably go by rpm feel, not what an she thinks she should be in and an indicator.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right!

·
Registered
827 Posts
firstraptor said:
Sorry John, no 5th gear sensor.
Know anything about PLC's?
For inputting to the plc a prox switch would work.
PLC - Programmable Logic Controller? yeah im very familiar with them... and a proximity switch (you would need two) one for first and one for the rest of the gears ..... basicaly write a program that each time the gear shifter is moved from the field or into the field it gets sent to a counter... and when its pushed down it would be hooked to a reverse counter..... gotta be an easier way though.....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
MPTonyT said:
PLC - Programmable Logic Controller? yeah im very familiar with them... and a proximity switch (you would need two) one for first and one for the rest of the gears ..... basicaly write a program that each time the gear shifter is moved from the field or into the field it gets sent to a counter... and when its pushed down it would be hooked to a reverse counter..... gotta be an easier way though.....
PLC - Programmable Logic Controller? Yes.
I was thinking a prox switch for upshift and one for down.
The only thing that brought the PLC's to mind was that I thought they were dirt cheap.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i guess it depends on your I/O but i havent see one thats 2/5. It would be easy to confuse the PLC..... Shift into second off the get go and bypass first and that would do it...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
What about using neutral as an input to null the count?
A down input from neutral would be 1
An up input from neutral would be 2, and so on?
No idea what the code would be, just an intresting idea to discuss.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
why wouldn't 2 micro switches hooked to the shifter work? 1 up counter on the top and one down counter on the bottom, maybe an LCD on the handlebars? Probably be able to build it at radioshak.

Problem would be reverse and neutral, not getting the counter to count those as shifts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
MPTonyT said:
i guess it depends on your I/O but i havent see one thats 2/5. It would be easy to confuse the PLC..... Shift into second off the get go and bypass first and that would do it...
firstraptor said:
What about using neutral as an input to null the count?
A down input from neutral would be 1
An up input from neutral would be 2, and so on?
No idea what the code would be, just an intresting idea to discuss.
i guess what could be done is to reset the count when neutral is engaged. that way you wouldnt confuse the PLC. mount two magnetic switches by the linkage of the shifter and one to the linkage itself. then if it was to go up from neutral the count would go to two or second.

three inputs would be needed. maybe four.

one for up
one for down
and one for the neutral light

maybe one for reverse

that way the code would be easy. or easier.

you would then need a decoder (cant think of the name) to take a latched high or low output and turn it into a digit. then read it out on a numeric LCD. make an enclosure and a mount and call it a day. but then the issue of displaying an "N" becomes an issue maybe display a "0" for neutral and you could make a generic "R". unless you used one of the new dot sytle ones. kinda the same principal as the scrolling belt buckles.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Would it be easier to make a shift light instead of something that indicates WHAT gear you're in ? Seems to me you can pretty well judge the gear, but when learning, knowing WHEN to shift might be more important ? Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Tony how hard would it be to have an individual display for each character then back light them as needed, R 1 N 2 3 4 5, back light with different colors and you could tell at a glance what gear you were in. Would a plc handle that easier that trying to do an alphanumeric?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.