Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if you can gearshift up without use of the clutch, i have the Yokon gears in mine and newer tryed the standard gears, downshift without clutch is no problem but i want to upshift with full trttle and a electronic gearcut system.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Normally you should be able do it with any tranny. You just have to get the trans and motor at the same speed so the gears can just slide right over with out any problem. Try it if she dosn't mine then your ok but if you hear grinding I wouldn't push it to much.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can upshift fine without clutch, I would not reccomend down shifting with no clutch as that puts alotta stress on the tranny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Downshift have help by the electronics with a vacumactuator who blips the trottle. upshift actuate a ignition cut but the problem is i cant get of the previus gear it's just stuck there, maby it's because the yukon gears are moore undercutted than standard or could it be some internal shafts that are bended .

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Downshift have help by the electronics with a vacumactuator who blips the trottle. upshift actuate a ignition cut but the problem is i cant get of the previus gear it's just stuck there, maby it's because the yukon gears are moore undercutted than standard or could it be some internal shafts that are bended .
I have 01 oem gears that were undercut.. I can't shift good without clutching, up or down..But I know she's in gear & will stay in..:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a difference in design on the -01 dog tooths compared to -02 and upwards ?
If there is anyone out there with experiance of the Yukon gearsets i wold really like to hear your coments about it, good or bad ?

Some other thing is sprocket gearing, what is the difference if i compare 13-40 to 15-46 , they have both the same speed at 8000 rpm, could it affect gearchange ? is it better to have a small front sprocket or...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
yukon gears are advertised and sold with the premise that they are back cut for positive engagement....doubt you will be able to shift without the clutch with those gears....once they are in they are in untill the force is taken off them by the clutch.....essentially they are locked into gear until you release them....awesome gears by the way....lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Any dog, back cut or not, will release if there is no (or little) net force between the mating faces... the only way to shift with heavily back cut dogs (without using the clutch) is to match engine RPM to drive speed to minimize this force. Sometimes, this will actually take longer than using the clutch.

Hey, MXScandinavia, can you show some more pics of your ride? It appears to be an enclosed single seater?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, MXScandinavia, can you show some more pics of your ride? It appears to be an enclosed single seater?
Yes, singel seater, we run a champion with this type of "cars" over here on flat circuit mixed asphalt and gravel( same tracks as rallycross and actually on same laptime as the turbomated 4x4 monster ford fiestas like Ken Block's). If you look in to my album there is 2 more picktures.

So maby i have to put in some OEM gears to fully use my electronic to cut some time from the starting grid then and thank's for all your input.

Hovewer i still would like to know if there is a advantage to use a bigger front / rear sprocket compared to small front/rear, long time agoe some one told me it's best to have as large front sprocket as you can make room for but i forgot why !

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
The advantage of a larger front sprocket (assuming the rear is larger also, so the ratio is not changed) is simply less stress on the chain - it turns through a larger radius and has more links engaged with the sprocket's teeth to share the load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts