Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I really need your help here. I have a 2001 Raptor 660R. I am looking to make first gear more useable as my friend has a small motocross track that I enjoying running my bike on. I recently noticed the front gear needs to be replaced so I went and bought a 15 tooth for it. It doesn't seem like the chain can be adjusted to make it fit, but I am unsure if what I am doing is correct. I am also unsure if going to a 15 tooth was the correct choice, can someone please give me a little insight here? It is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
13 front, 40 rear is stock. 15 front will make 1st about 15% taller relative to stock (you will go about 15% faster before shifting to 2nd) - is that what you want?

You adjust the chain by loosening the clamp bolts - the two large bolts on the right side of the axle carrier (right behind the brake disk), then loosen the locknuts on the two adjuster bolts (top front of the axle carrier) then loosen the adjuster bolts... move the axle carrier forward, and then tweak the adjuster bolts to give you about 1/2" to 3/4" of chain travel when you grab it in center of the top span. Make sure that the axle is lined up straight - there are marks on the carrier to line up equally on both sides. Then tighten the locknuts and tighten up the clamp bolts.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys,

I really need your help here. I have a 2001 Raptor 660R. I am looking to make first gear more useable as my friend has a small motocross track that I enjoying running my bike on. I recently noticed the front gear needs to be replaced so I went and bought a 15 tooth for it. It doesn't seem like the chain can be adjusted to make it fit, but I am unsure if what I am doing is correct. I am also unsure if going to a 15 tooth was the correct choice, can someone please give me a little insight here? It is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
The 01s had a very high first gear ratio, and going to a 15 would make it extremely tall, go back to a 12 - 40 and you will lose a little top speed but it will give you a slightly better first gear....................

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
13 front, 40 rear is stock. 15 front will make 1st about 15% taller relative to stock (you will go about 15% faster before shifting to 2nd) - is that what you want?

You adjust the chain by loosening the clamp bolts - the two large bolts on the right side of the axle carrier (right behind the brake disk), then loosen the locknuts on the two adjuster bolts (top front of the axle carrier) then loosen the adjuster bolts... move the axle carrier forward, and then tweak the adjuster bolts to give you about 1/2" to 3/4" of chain travel when you grab it in center of the top span. Make sure that the axle is lined up straight - there are marks on the carrier to line up equally on both sides. Then tighten the locknuts and tighten up the clamp bolts.
Yes that is what I want, I would like to take a little torque out of the first gear and allow the raptor to gain a little more speed in first before having to shift. I adjusted the chain all the way out and it seems that I am about 1.5 links short. I am unsure if links were removed by the previous owner, but I am also unsure if the stock chain willl even fit a 15 tooth....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts