Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. New guy here and I've been spending some time reading the threads and doing searches. There's some great info here! Anyway, on to my question. I have an '01 660 that I bought used and plan on replacing the tires soon. I just got done reading the "Gearing, speed, and the like" thread and I'm curious. The previous owner replaced the stock primary sprocket with a 12t and left the stock rear sprocket. I weigh approx. 300lbs and I'm considering going with 21" rear tires. I'm assuming this combination will put things back more or less to a stock ratio assuming the 1 tooth = 1 inch theory or because of my weight, should I stick with the 12t primary and a 20" rear tire? I'm also considering the added ground clearance of the taller tire because the terrain I ride in is mostly trails and fire roads with large exposed rocks which love to beat the snot out of swing arm guards. I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
For the riding your doing or talking about doing, I'd get 22" rears and 23" fronts, and run the 12 tooth front, and 42 rear. this combo will equal a 12-40 f/r on 20" rear tires, plus you get more added ground clearance. I had this combo before and it worked awesome. good bottom end grunt as well with the lower gearing. remember if you go to a 21" your only gaining a 1/2" of clearance, you go to a 22" you gain a full 1" of clearance.. I know the maxxis razor 2- 22" rear tires are actually 22-3/4" which would give you almost a full 1-1/2" of rear clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'm going to seriously look into the 22" rear tires. Are there any clearance issues with that large of a tire? I haven't gone out measured the space between the foot peg heel guard and the rear tire yet. Thanks for that calculator link, I was looking at it earlier. Also thanks for clearing up the tooth/tire diameter guideline. :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The razor 2- 22"-'s fit right on with good clearances, no issues...
IT would be a good idea to run a taller tire up front as well, just to keep it level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rt said:
The razor 2- 22"-'s fit right on with good clearances, no issues...
IT would be a good idea to run a taller tire up front as well, just to keep it level.
Thanks! I fully intend on running a taller front tire as well. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'm running 22" Knarlys in the rear and 23" Klaws up front with good results and no clearance issues. I run 12/41 gearing and it has plenty of gittyup, I weigh in about 240.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts