Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i was just wondering what is the stock gearing for the 700? isnt it like 14/38 or something? well i just went with a 15 in the front and i only drag race and i was wondering what i should go with in the back. a 36 or a 35 perhaps, im not sure i will just wait until your input. if a 35 or 36 is good what is a website i can buy it from or any links you guys must know

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I am not sure what gearing you should run with your setup and for drag racing....

I do know though that your never going to get a 35 rear to fit on the sprocket hub. Atleast the stock one.
Every 36 I have heard of has clearane problems with the sprocket hub...your chain will role over the sprocket hubs fingers.
37 is the lowest you can go safely....but once again, with the stock sprocket hub. You would have to make up a custom setup, as EVERY yfz or 700 rear sprocket your going to buy is going to have the same bolt pattern...and having a different yfz or 700 sprocket hub isnt going to gain you anything...you'll still have clearance issues.

Maybe go with 22's in the rear....that adds weight usually, but will significantly lower your gearing ratio!
It would be like running a 16/37 and 20's.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok thanks, ya i run a 15 front and stock back and running 22inch haulers so ya. i have a j&j drag axle so i donno i will see about changing the back to a lower one like a 37 or a big maybe to a 36

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
yeah....your geared pretty dang tall as it is right now!

If they are true 22's, you are geared to a capable 112mph

If you go to a 37 rear with those mods, you will be geared to 115mph!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are hillshooting or really drag racing at all for that matter you will probably want to gear down not up. Running 22" haulers will already have you geared up as it is so I would start with stock gearing and go down from there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok, thx for the input ya, i all i do is drag. do any of you know where to buy a rear 37 tooth sprocket or 36?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and one more thing, do they make 16tooth's for the raptor 700 yet? if they do, were, what website? thank you. so u guys are saying that running 22inch haulers in the back is like going up one in the front already?thx

·
Registered
85 Posts
raptor770 said:
and one more thing, do they make 16tooth's for the raptor 700 yet? if they do, were, what website? thank you. so u guys are saying that running 22inch haulers in the back is like going up one in the front already?thx
Yeah the 22's will give you a higher gear ratio.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh ok, ya now my gearing is 16/36 and i got a rev box so my rpm's are hitting around 10,000rpm's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sunstar makes a 16 tooth front for the raptor. K&K ATV carries them. I don't run it, but I do have a 36 tooth rear with no clearance problem (no contact) with the stock sprocket hub. A 35 tooth would not fit though, that's for certain. The 16 tooth front will require that you remove the case guard (and maybe even grind down the case guard mounting bosses on the case) for clearance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
raptorsquid said:
Sunstar makes a 16 tooth front for the raptor. K&K ATV carries them. I don't run it, but I do have a 36 tooth rear with no clearance problem (no contact) with the stock sprocket hub. A 35 tooth would not fit though, that's for certain. The 16 tooth front will require that you remove the case guard (and maybe even grind down the case guard mounting tabs) for clearance.
Thats interesting...who makes it.

I have seen, heard, and experienced a lot of problems with trying to go to a 36 rear. On the yfz though, but the yfz and 700 share the exact same sprocket hub.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 36 tooth rear I'm running is just a cheapo stamped steel unit from Rocky Mtn ATV, house brand they call Primary Drive. I haven't seen a 36 in any of the spendy aluminum alloy rears, but this one just fits, doesn't touch the hub. K&K has a "no-name" 36 tooth steel rear sprocket, too. Listed for the yfz. Don't know if it's stamped or machined (probably stamped since they don't say otherwise). Rocky Mtn's is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
cool, good to know.

I was talking to sidewinder the other day, and they are iffy on even selling a 36 to you for the 700 or yfz.
Must be just the slightest difference.

·
Registered
689 Posts
raptorsquid said:
The 36 tooth rear I'm running is just a cheapo stamped steel unit from Rocky Mtn ATV, house brand they call Primary Drive. I haven't seen a 36 in any of the spendy aluminum alloy rears, but this one just fits, doesn't touch the hub.
I to run the 36T form primary drive got it at RM to. No problem here, tight fit but doesn't rub on anything.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sounds like the primary drive ones work then.....thats cool :thumbsup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
135boom said:
sounds like the primary drive ones work then.....thats cool :thumbsup:
And its the cheap one, what more can you ask for. Usally it the cheap shit that don't fit for shit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A guy could always grind a mm or so off the hub fingers if he had to in order to get another brand to fit. It's so close that I can see some other brand needing just a hair taken off the hub to keep the chain from contacting it (I see now that Renthal makes a 36 tooth lightweight rear, don't know if it fits). Personally I don't like spending more for a part that won't last as long (aluminum alloy vs steel). Btw, even titanium can't be hardened to nearly the hardness of the hardest grades of steel. (I doubt that the cheapo primary drive sprocket is the hardest grade but you get my point of cost/value.) A machined nickel chomoly sprocket is probably best for wear, and that includes wear on the chain since a chain gets ruined pretty quickly if you run it on a worn sprocket. That's when the cursing starts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts