Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good setup for low end torque on a Raptor? I'm currently running a 14t on the front and the rear sprocket is needing changed. What do you guys suggest for the rear?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Stock is 14/38.......I'm running 14/39......Great for woods riding

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Ditch the 38T and go 36T.
That's what I'd do also but mine and yours are trail monsters big bore strokers. Idk if a big 3 will pull 15/36 like we can. Swiper what you gonna do with it the most? Me and Dale are fine in the woods I usually don't shift under 3rd unless taking off or a big steep hill I'll hit second and hammer down if it winds up to much I'll grab 3rd and hang on.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
It should but it's gearing him higher still. Idk what he wants more low end for. These things have tons of it stock lol

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
What would be a good setup for low end torque on a Raptor? I'm currently running a 14t on the front and the rear sprocket is needing changed. What do you guys suggest for the rear?
Unless you have a heavily modified machine, going further than about 1 tooth up front or 2-3 in rear isn't a very good idea.

IMHO, if I were you I'd just try and get a stock replacement in rear and swap the front for a 15T. I've had EXTREMELY bad results with aftermarket sprockets, for some reason they get chewed up after a couple of rides whereas the stock one just lasts forever. Same goes up front but the issue is nowhere near as bad and they are cheaper/easier to replace up front.

If you are really set on changing the rear for something else, I'd either go for a 36, keeping the stock front.. Or I'd go with a 39 and put a 15t up front. Always felt to me the 15t was just a bit too much in tight trails and the 1t difference in rear helps there, all while keeping the other benefits of the 15t. A friend of mine runs this setup and it's pretty much perfect. We both have 60ish hp machines and mostly run a mix of woods and high speed logging roads.

It's always good to have some spare fronts of different sizes. They are easy and quick to change so if you need to adapt to a certain trail, you can do it right in the woods while the others are having their smoke break. I'll sometimes slap back my 14t when I know we'll mostly be doing tight stuff, it's much more enjoyable that way... but when we have lots of miles to cover at higher speed, the 15 really helps getting the revs down on those long stretches.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Unless you have a heavily modified machine, going further than about 1 tooth up front or 2-3 in rear isn't a very good idea.

IMHO, if I were you I'd just try and get a stock replacement in rear and swap the front for a 15T. I've had EXTREMELY bad results with aftermarket sprockets, for some reason they get chewed up after a couple of rides whereas the stock one just lasts forever. Same goes up front but the issue is nowhere near as bad and they are cheaper/easier to replace up front.

If you are really set on changing the rear for something else, I'd either go for a 36, keeping the stock front.. Or I'd go with a 39 and put a 15t up front. Always felt to me the 15t was just a bit too much in tight trails and the 1t difference in rear helps there, all while keeping the other benefits of the 15t. A friend of mine runs this setup and it's pretty much perfect. We both have 60ish hp machines and mostly run a mix of woods and high speed logging roads.

It's always good to have some spare fronts of different sizes. They are easy and quick to change so if you need to adapt to a certain trail, you can do it right in the woods while the others are having their smoke break. I'll sometimes slap back my 14t when I know we'll mostly be doing tight stuff, it's much more enjoyable that way... but when we have lots of miles to cover at higher speed, the 15 really helps getting the revs down on those long stretches.
That's why I buy steel sprockets not aluminum.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just more or less seeing if there would be that big of a difference in what I'm running to something else. I ride in heavy wooded area and rarely get past 3rd gear. I don't really care about top speed on it anymore. I just want to be able to blip the gas and come through the tight stuff. I'd rather have the low end than top any day anymore. I'll probably just end up putting a stock size rear back on it. But like I said, just wanting on opinions.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Throw a 40t on the rear. That'll give you what you want.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
What about keeping the rear at 38 or smaller for clearance and dropping to a 13 tooth front?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I'd suggested that but I thought he was wanting to just change the rear one. I always replace both when ones done.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
What about keeping the rear at 38 or smaller for clearance and dropping to a 13 tooth front?
This ^

Spider-Lōc;1037191 said:
I'd suggested that but I thought he was wanting to just change the rear one. I always replace both when ones done.
And indeed, you should change both sprockets and the chain at the same time for maximum durability. I swap my front around all the time though depending on the ride I'm about to do....

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I switch the front out from time to time for the super tight stuff I'll drop back to the 14 front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts