Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i was riding my 250 and i have been noticing that 1st and 2nd gear sometimes make a clunking noise when i shift into them. I do not know how long its been doing this, but its starting to get worse and im a little scared for the tranny in my bike. Its not like a really terrible loud clunk but its enough to get your attention, and its only 1st and second gear that do it. I always use my clutch when i shift, except for the few times i just completely missed the clutch when i first got the bike because i just switched over from a semi-auto raptor 80. I have once or twice accidentally kicked the bike from neutral into gear without the clutch, and it jumped and stalled. Is this something i did that damaged the bike or does this usually happen. The bike shifts into gear fine btw, it just makes a weird clunk.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yeah mine does the same thing. Sometimes when I stop in fourth or fifth gear I can't shift down to first, I have to let the clutch out til it grabs then it will make that clunking sound and I have to keep doing that to get it back in first. And sometimes if I let it coast in neutral for like 50 feet and drop it back into first it does it. I am pretty good about using my clutch too so I don't think it's anything I did to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does it to its just the way they are . i ride alot of mx and only use the clutch to take off ,and feather it around corners to build up rpms on the exit . these trannies will take the abuse . Mine hasnt gotten any worse ,and ive been riding it like that for the last year. Have you checked your chain tension ? Maybe its getting to loose . It will clunk when ther is to much slack.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, chain tension is perfect. I thought the noise was because i have knocked it out of neutral and into gear a few times without the clutch, which caused the bike to jump and stall. doesnt shifting without the clutch crunch the gears or break them in some way, i always heard that it was bad for the bike, wouldnt it just be better to powershift it so you get more torque buildup when u let out the clutch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive never had a trannie bust and ive been riding for 31 years. You do the same thing with a semi auto.Basically im just saying you dont have to worry about trans .THey are tough. AS far as shifting do what you are comfortable with . thats just the way ive done it ,always had 2 stroke race bikes and thats the best way to keep rpms up going up through the gears

·
Registered
266 Posts
My tranny shifts hard too. Sometimes I will be pulling in 2nd gear and it will drop down into neutral on its own, then when I'm pulling hard in 3rd, it won't shift into 4th, I have to let the rpm's drop and then shift up. Does it from 4th to 5th too. I'm going to tear into it soon to see what's going on with it. I wish Rekluse would hurry up!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
sounds like your clutch is dragin check adjustment mark on case,if its off mark adjust the screw on the chutch till it lines up and retighten jam nut.its all in the shop manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts