Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I just picked up a used stock 05. Its my first quad. I drove a buddys 01 rappy a few years ago and liked it, so the rappy was my choice. I drive on some kindof bumpy trails but you can still go pretty fast. My brother just picked up a KTM 250 super cross dirt bike. We are both rookies but he huals ass past me. (dont know if its the bumps or what) I have trouble keeping up with him. (We are both rookies) I tell him I am not pushing it to hard, but in reality, I am running the $hit out of my rappy (dont get me wrong, it is fast and running correctly). My other buddy has a stock 750 4x4 and says he can stomp my rappy as he use to own one. Anyways, I know it wont be long before everyone wants to start linning them up, and I dont want to feel bad after I just spent 5k on somthing that gets beat by a 2500 dollar dirt bike and 3.5k four wheeler. What did I spend my money on?? Any drag tips to beat these a$$es?

I did an oil change and lubed her up. I also cleaned the air filter and sprayed my chain with the yamaha stuff. I will need some new tires soon as the ones on it are stock and pretty worn.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can't give you any advice for drag racing but I do want to say congratulations on buying your Raptor. It's a good machine and I think that you'll throughly enjoy it for a long time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! I just feel kind bad I bought it and everyone is already talking $hit to me.

Should I get some mods done? I dont really want to put anymore money into it right now as the bank still owns it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well for the dirtbike, your pretty much screwed, you can take him off the line but he will catch you usually.... 250cc 2-stroke dirtbikes make in between 40-45 horsepower stock. They weigh in at 200-230 lbs. It has a power advantage on the raptor plus a 180lb. difference. It is possible to win against the 250, if it is a relatively short race, it isn't the easiest thing to take off hard on a dirtbike when your a novice rider, especially a 250. As for the 750, go whip his butt. Raptor's are amazing machines and I have fell in love with mine. There isn't any other way I would have it...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed the guy racing the 04 harley in here started off in second. Is that the way to do it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
In off-road terrain yes...... It works quite well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can say i had a damn bombarda 4x4 06model unsure model but was ther best 4x4 of the year beat me on a short drag. I barely got into 4th and thank would had him in 4th and 5th his advantage was i guess automatic big tires low gearing better traction. For dirt draging I never found starting in 2nd for me to be a advantage. I tend to try to break traction insted of hooking up and poping up. It`s hard for me to find perfect hook up. If you cant keep it down try reving up higher and poping clutch to break traction and try doing that till you find your self a good idea on what works best for you. Try to stay towards gas tank and low. I run stock gearing and recently bought a 12tooth front sprocket waiting on it now to come in. I thank this will come in handy as my gearing will be lower and on the dirt drags i go to i will be able to come out first more cause i never come out 4th.

For pavement drag Some good slicks/wore down thread would be nice if not than only advice i have is practice alot and I have goton a tip to ratchet the 4 wheeler down if you like to know more about this let me know i find the thread are give you detail info on this simple idea. Congrats on the rappy must be nice to own a newer machine mine is a 03 and was stolen and drove to hell and back. I thank a good upgrade is a 12tooth front and from there get a full exhust system and jet kit of course. from there go with mod air box and or start doing internal stuff like piston cam valves bore etc.... Dont for get about your suspension good tires better shocks from there upgrade to better axel better a arms and tie rods etc... Dont break the bank and shop around I personally like the for sale forum here and e-bay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is she still stock, i agree with william - play with gearing. The is a post in the maintenance section on how to release some power, haven't tested it yet.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i get it paid off in a few months, I am thinking about a k&n + box, lte duals, and jetting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take off in 2nd at very high rpm and slip the clutch for a couple of feet.I've tried a bunch of different ways and i fell this is the fastest. Just make sure you lean forward alot

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Right on, if you learn how to feather the clutch out you can get a good kickass headstart, feathering the clutch is a good technique when drifting corners in trails and on the track, its generally gets more complicating with the tighter radius turns, especially when theres not a lot of room for error. Thats when you have to use it in conjuction with tapping your front brakes and using your weight to swing the bike. the whole time your bikes rev'n in or near the best part of your powerband. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
try going with the 12tooth front sprocket it will give you the advantage off of the line :grin_nod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts