Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Updated 11/26/06****
This is just my list for any new people wondering what all can be done just a basic list. If you would like to add some more info on more mods and engine internals parts and brands please reply I will update list evertime I find new/better/differnt mod/part for are quad.

Starts with Full exhust system- many brands to pick from And a Better air filter like k&n/proflow if possiable use a no lid are mod air box lid or even a custom made box and dont forget the jet kit.

Then for internals...
A good cam like hot cams and webcams they come in differnt stages
A High compression pistion 12:1 wisco 13:1 je I also herd of a 14:1 and ct racing has a 11:1 12:1 You can pick differnt bore sizes, you can bore stock piston sleeve to 2mm and 5mm on aftermarket ones
new stainless valves "oversize if pissiable"
new better valve springs,
hotrod crankshaft if possiable a stroker one,Titanium connecting rod thanks firstraptor
port and polish with the 5 angle valves job and flow test
fcr/edlabrok carb

better clutch basket better clutch disc/plates springs
Better 1 way starter clutch and gear
I also find better performance stators
The good clear tube method
And if possiable dyno and tune

What am I missing other than nos/turbo/rocket lol ????
I know they make performance rad and cooling fins but i dont consider this to be part of the list altho if ther is a performance oil pump or water pump i dont know about that be nice to be on the list. also off topic I herd about better performance coil and ignition system/cdi but dont know much about.
What am I missing what can be mod/ inproved ? Is this everythang I listed are is there more??? :)

*** IMPORTANT****** Anyone who will be haveing a shop do the work make sure you tell them to keep the new packaging of all the new parts and keep all of your old parts and give them back to you make sure you tell them ever thang.... includeing jet niddles and all Just for your sake of geting riped off which i have exsperiance from some shops :mad:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Re: All that can be done engine performance list

I'm not going to even attempt to create a comprehensive list. Just suffice to say that essentially every part in the raptor's engine can be replaced with a "better" performing aftermarket one, and those which cannot can typically be modified. Heck, many of the aftermarket parts can be modified.

I will say that you're leaving out quite a bit, and some of the things you have listed are not the "top of the line". For instance, there are much more aggressive cams than any hotcam and there are 14:1 production pistons out there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The list i put togather is all of the parts i can find. If I am leaveing out quit a bit than I love to know what. I know it would be a huge list maddog but if you can please share with me what you know is out there because im not poping up with anythang new and I dont really know of any other performance/better/mod parts out there if you could just name a very few that be great. Would be nice to have a big huge list of mods/parts. I have`nt herd of the 14:1 I have saw web cams but dont know of any other ones. Again I done alot of looking and am surprizes i left out alot. Please help name just a few. I await anyones reply I look fowward to hereing about better mods/parts.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

What exactly is a stator and what benefit would one see from getting a better one? And I think that creating a nice mod list maybe in stages would be a great sticky and would elminate a lot of repeat threads.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Stator is your genarator/altanator that charges battry. All that I now of is that one may get a better over stock stator and run brighter / additonal lights/electronics this would be a electronic upgrade I dont thank a stator will do anythang performance wise maybe someone can 2nd me. like maddog mike said I did not list eveythang and im leaveing out quite a bit. I been checking this thread 3 times daily waiting on more replys to what i can further buy/mod to make the raptor engine better. I just sold a honda 250 for exchange of cash / roofwork/yardwork/machine work. The guy said he could bore and hone and do a 3angle valve job and install new springs/valves for me for no charge. I cant say im super happy about this cause i did plan on haveing a real real performance shop do a valve job and trinity to do the bore. Im going to get this guy to do the valve job trade is done but i might just send my cylender to trinity to be bore out cause i know they will do it right.

Is ther anythang this machine shop man can do other than my valve job and bore? Said he couldnt do a real port and polish but any machin work I need he could do. maddog you said other thangs i did not list could be mod what please share with me. Im still wanting to know what i left out atlest 1 thang lol. This has finally turn into my dream build and i be going with stroker/bore new cam/piston/valves/springs new 1way and clutch pack and basket with new jetkit and thats about all for now I can do everythang i want accept the port and polish ,better cdi and clutch pressure which is in good stock condition I already have a pipe and i know of no other motor mods.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

i like this post. when you get a list of all the parts then modify your 1st post. it would be nice to look at a list of general mods that will make my raptor perform better. such as cam, high comp piston, bore, and other things you already listed :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
106mm bore and 6mil stroke are widely availible
Hotcams, Web cams, megacycle cams, custom builder ground cams (craycraft/sparks/etc)
8:1-14:1 compression pistons - JE, Namura, Wiseco, Ross, CP, custom built
Porting is a lot more than a few angles on a valve. There are different types for different applications; drag, HV, torque/trail, etc.
Edelbrock, Mikuni TM, Keihin FCR, and Lectron have all been used, more possible and mods to these possible
Aftermarket airboxes, direct mount filters, L&A airbox eliminator and similar kits

Hinson 6 spring clutch, lockup clutch
Fortran gears, override trans, cryo treating

The list is almost endless, and any attempt I may make at a comprehensive one will essentially fail before it begins.

·
Registered
364 Posts
how about just being "content" with the machine you have. The biggest gain you can do to your bike and still keep the reliability we all wish for is exhaust/filter/jet kit. Then put the rest of your money into a couple cases of good beer and enjoy the great outdoors.

cheers,

Max

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
maxb750 said:
how about just being "content" with the machine you have. The biggest gain you can do to your bike and still keep the reliability we all wish for is exhaust/filter/jet kit. Then put the rest of your money into a couple cases of good beer and enjoy the great outdoors.

cheers,

Max
Because when you're faster you can win the beer off your slower buddies, and free beer always tastes best. And the evening at the campfire is a lot more fun if you're the one with the great stories instead of the butt of the jokes. :thumbsup:

Throwing a mid compression piston and mild cam in will significantly increase power with little loss of long term reliability. As for exhaust/intake changes being the most reliable, how many questions does this forum see daily on people with just these mods who can't get their bike to run right? On a well-jetted machine the additions I just mentioned will require incremental jetting adjustments instead of huge jumps, which make it easier to tune.

·
Registered
364 Posts
that's just it....I don't drag race which is why i say this. I've never been a fan of racing. I prefer exploring mother nature and just having a good time cruising the dunes, opening the backpack to have a beer and the occasional mud pit which the rappy is beautiful for.

Now for those who do race I can understand putting as much testosterone in your bike your wallet can handle. More power to you....(no pun intended ;))

As for issues here on this forum with problems on jetting, the manufacturer of the pipe has always given me the exact specs to follow with their pipe and the altitude I'm currently at.....never had a problem.

I'm not arguing with you Maddog, but I have never had an unsuccessful trip with my pipe and jetted bike, and have had multiple trips where I've been the only rider left in my group because my stupid ass friends can't get their heavily modified bikes to start or run right. Trust me, I'm never the butt of the jokes when I"m the only one left with a good running bike. Ok, maybe i've been the butt of the jokes a couple of times until i walk over to one of the bikes, turn the key and it struggles to even turn over because they thought taking the decompression pin/ cam springs out would give them an extra horse. have fun guys and lets see this list,

Max

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
In my case, and many others, there are organized racing events. I enter these races and practice for them with friends so that's where the jokes come from.

I can certainly see your point Max and it's a valid one. I have friends who feel the same way. When I'm in the woods it's about having a good time, the guy that thinks he needs to beat everyone else in the trail is usually the one we're all pissed at by the end of the day. And contrary to what some may believe becuase of my bike's modifications, I'm not the one out front racing down the trail as I'm sure you're not either. I do enjoy a good race, but it's usually at the beginning or end of a ride at a specified hill or flat section where many other riders are doing the same thing.

My comment about the jetting posts was intended to highlight that quite often user or installer error cause more problems with reliability than the quality of the upgraded parts. The majority of the problems I've had with my bike (parking brake, one-way, and a few others not-withstanding) have been a result of an error in either installation or product choice. However I will grant you that when you change out parts there is a lot more possibility for error than if you touch nothing.

I'm not arguing either, we're discussing the matter and it's what these boards are for; sharing opinions and gaining a better understanding through them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know this isn't engine related but gearing is a huge part in your performance and the way your machine runs and acts. I know they make aftermarket waterpumps. My friend had one on his rappy, but it was louder then the stock one and i don't know who made it. you didn't go into much detail about each part...and i think the wiseco piston is 11:1, and the je is 12:1...i might be wrong. You can also get different piston rods, not just titatium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.