Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my frame powdercoated and I want to know if anyone has any secrets on getting the subframe off and seperating the frame (aluminum part from steel part) I have tried allen sockets with a huge breaker bar and heat and an impact gun with no luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
i just took my subframe off and had it painted last week. the bolts were really tight i broke a allen socket but i was able to get it off

·
Registered
779 Posts
does the service manual give any tips on removal?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I thought they had some kind of safety thing to them, so that you couldnt just take a regular allen to them...isnt there like a center piece in the allen slot not allowing a regular allen.

I do know you have to get new bolts after....you cant reuse the old ones.

Maybe I am thinking of the ones that join the aluminum frame to the steel...... :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had to heat up the subframe and use an impact gun on mine. The bolts that hold the rear section were even harder to get out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Be sure to tighten the crap out of the bolts that hold the subframe when you reinstall. I removed mine and reinstalled it but aperently i didn't tigten them tight enough and I Notice my subframe was loose about a month later. By running them loose it had wallowed the holes in the subframe out (I run alot of mx). I had to drill the subframe out and install bushings to get it where it would stay tight again. I am sure the repair manual has some torque specs that would have been helpful.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is a small boss in the middle of the opening, these are suppossedly tamper proof. Just drill a hole in the end of the allen wrench so it can fully seat when you pour the coals to the breaker bar. I wouldn't be at all suprised if there was red loctite or some kind of thread retaining epoxy used on the threads. I would look at the back side of the treads towrds the intake area to see what's there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts