Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, I've tried to search for this answer, but I haven't found it. Either it's not here or I'm just an idiot, lol. Either way, I suppose that means I have to ask...the situation is, I just got some YFZ450 front shocks. As I understand it, these "should" lower the front end a tad. My question is, what should I run on the rear to bring it down as well? My stock rear shock is on it's last legs, and I don't really care for it much anyway. The squeak squeak is not a sound I care to hear... What is a solid replacement/upgrade for the man on a budget? Is a stock 700 rear a good choice? I thought I read something about the 700 raising the ass end a little bit, which is going the opposite direction I want to be. Help!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Flip your rear link to lower in and buy/rebuild whatever shock you can fit in the budget. I've never done any rear upgrade aside from lowering it though.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to replace the link if I read some of these other posts correctly. The '01 link is different than the '02-'05 link, correct? That's not an issue, but I'm looking at something to put on the rear that is going to improve handling, while not breaking the bank. I don't ride track, mainly trail and dunes, with little to no jumping. Nothing over a foot or so. Is a stock 660 rear going to be the best choice? 700? Or something else?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody has any suggestions at all?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Just posted this in the last week or so in the 660 section, try an adjustable rear lowering strut. I have the durablue, but I believe CFM makes one as well. I thought they were 01 linkage compatible but I am unsure on that.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh okay, thanks, I'll take a look. What I was saying about the linkage was that as I understood it, in order to do the flipped linkage mod, I would have to go to an '02 or newer linkage, because they changed them, right? I just googled Durablue adjustable rear lowering strut as well and didn't come up with any choices for the rear, only for the front...any ideas? I looked around for your post about this a week ago, and didn't come up with anything for that either...remember what the title of it was off the top of your head? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, google not working very well. I looked at the link for the Durablue, that's exactly the site I came to as well, but I saw nothing for lowering the rear of my bike. I think I'll be good with the YFZ's on the front, but what do I do to the back end to bring it down some? Durablue had some applications for rear ends for other bikes, but nothing for a 660. Looks as though it's the same for the CFM. Am I reading their descriptions wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I either go for the flipped link method or go aftermarket. Now that that is figured out, what's a good upgrade to use? 700 rear? Stock 660? All in the efforts to bring the rear end down to be comparable to the front when I install the YFZ fronts.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Lol, google not working very well. I looked at the link for the Durablue, that's exactly the site I came to as well, but I saw nothing for lowering the rear of my bike. I think I'll be good with the YFZ's on the front, but what do I do to the back end to bring it down some? Durablue had some applications for rear ends for other bikes, but nothing for a 660. Looks as though it's the same for the CFM. Am I reading their descriptions wrong?
Yes, you are. I'm quite frankly amazed you don't see these items, I have taken the time to post them and now revisit the thread again to cite them. Please take some time and effort of your own to FULLY READ the links I post.

On the durablue site, fourth item from the bottom.

Lowering Rear Strut Yam Rap660 '01-05-adjustable*see 27-1096 for bearing/seal kit

On the CFM site, second item down

Yamaha Raptor 660 Rear Lowering Kit Fixed $39.95 or Adjustable $84.95

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see them now. I know this is going to come across as BS, but I looked at both of those pages earlier and did not see anything regarding either of those parts. Like you said, i either didn't look hard enough, or something happened with the page. I'll err on the side of caution and say it was probably the first. That being said, any suggestions on a shock?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just got a CRJ adjustable lowering link and it's probably the best thing I've bought for this bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I see them now. I know this is going to come across as BS, but I looked at both of those pages earlier and did not see anything regarding either of those parts. Like you said, i either didn't look hard enough, or something happened with the page. I'll err on the side of caution and say it was probably the first. That being said, any suggestions on a shock?
The PB Blaster trick should stop the squeaky rear shock. So I would try that before I bought a whole new shock.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to try adjusting the shock one more time when I am able to get home and take a look at the bike again, but I may not have a choice in the matter. It's not JUST the squeak squeak. It was very very soft, no matter what adjustments I made. I'm optimistic, but a realist as well. Bike is 9 hours away, I can't work on it all that much, just not convenient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts