Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ok, here's the deal. I currnetly have a Polaris TrailBlazer 250. (automatic) I wan't to get a bigger quad. Most sports bikes are manual transmisions. I don't mind learning to shift. In fact I'm pretty sure that once I get used to it I will prefer it. I prefer a manual trans in a car. What good is a automatic Vette or Ferarri?? ::)

I was looking at getting a Suzuki Z400. It seems like a good, manageable and reliable quad. A good bike to learn to shift on.
I really like the Raptor better though! :thumbsup: Do you think that the 700R is too big of a bike to learn to shift on. My friends think I'll kill myself on a Raptor. But I figure it can't be that much big of a differance to go from a 250 auto to a 400 manual than a 700 manual.

I am 5'10" 145 lbs. and just do trail riding. That info might be helpful.

Ok guys, let me know what you think...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've shifted my 07 from 1st thru 4th without ever using the throttle.Lots of torque.Just take your time,learn to ride it.I also have a trailblazer,the Raptor is 10 time the bike.I believe its one the best bikes out there.I know most guy,s on this forum will agree.Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I say go for it, you won't have a problem learning how to shift. Just be careful with that right thumb or you'll end up on your a$$ ASAP. I learned how to ride on my 660 and haven't look back since. If I remember correctly, I had the whole shifting thing down in about an hour. 8)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It shouldn't be too bad, take your time get a nice open area to learn on and take the time to not just learn how to go but to feather the clutch for gentle starts. Spend some time doing this and don't just take off down some trails or race off to the dunes after your first sucsseful start. take the time to get comfortabul and don't let yourself get over confident. I'm teach the wife to ride on my rappy and she hasn't riddin before at all. Now she loves it and and wants the grey w/red frame rappy for herself

·
Registered
824 Posts
i would deff get the 700, and u wont have a prob learning it.

i just got mine and already have the shifting down pat, and its been a long time and this is my 1st sport atv

i did stall a few times last night (1st night riding it)

but today i only stalled twice, once i tried starting out in a higher gear by accident, and then once i just stalled it.

but yea it does pick up easy so thats all u gotta watch out for :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
You'll be fine, my wife is 5' 3" and 110lbs and she learned to us ea clutch on my 700, after about 2 hours she was riding it like it was stolen. :help:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Raptor is user friendly. I had my girlfriend riding around no problem in about 20minutes. Now she wants one :eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
my raptor 700 was the very first quad i have ever drivin. so deffinantly not to big to learn on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guy's. This advice has helps. Makes me more confident getting a Raptor. The only thing I have to decide now is if I wan't to put the extra dough down for the Raptor! ;) I think it's like an extra $1400 bucks! Can I get a couple of you guys to write a permission slip to give to my wife saying its ok to spend the extra money?!? :lol: Otherwise I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it beacuse my wife would wan't allimony after the divorce!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
TwistedCreations said:
Thanks for the info guy's. This advice has helps. Makes me more confident getting a Raptor. The only thing I have to decide now is if I wan't to put the extra dough down for the Raptor! ;) I think it's like an extra $1400 bucks! Can I get a couple of you guys to write a permission slip to give to my wife saying its ok to spend the extra money?!? :lol: Otherwise I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it beacuse my wife would wan't allimony after the divorce!! :lol:
Here ya go.
Dear MRS. TwistedCreations,
Please allow your Husband to spend the money to buy a Raptor 700. Then after that please allow him to buy the necissary upgrades to make it competive with the other guys. These mods are a manditory saftey item. With outthese the saftey of his ego will be at stake. Also as for your husband repaying this favor he will promise to only go ridding on days that end in Y. He will do atleast on more chore around the house as long as its not needed on a day that ends in Y. He will continue to spend quality time with you but then to acheive this you will need to get a new four-wheeler alos that will require large amounts of your husbands afterwork time to properly maintain and keep ready. This kind of investment is very important to your husbands moral and well being. Thank you and please do not divorce him over this. Also any time you may feel he is spending too much time with his fourwheeler, just remember atleast he's not cheeting on you.
Sincerly
Chris (aka Guamraptor)
I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
TwistedCreations said:
Or if that isn't good try this one if you need just replace my name with a buddies as to make it seem like you have two freinds helping you out

Dear MRs Twistedcreations,
Please allow your husband to buy a Raptor 700. Also allow him to purchase all nessicary upgrades do dads and anything elso he might desire. These are required for saftey. Without these the saftey of his ego will be atstake if he is unable to keep up the the fellas. Your husband will agree to only think about, work on, and ride his quad on days that end in Y. If you require addition chores to be done by him this is not a problem as long as it does not conflict with four wheleer time or is on a day that ends in Y. If you require additional "family time" then you will also need to allow the purchase of additional toys so the family can come along on some of but not all of his trips. There will be no crying or whinning or nagging about lost time due to the purchase of the four wheeler. Any and all time spent with the four wheeler does not need to be justified as for it is better than him getting a girlfreind. Purchasing said four wheeler may require additional purchases like but not limited to a bigger truck, a nicer trailer or possibly a toy trailer.
thank you again and please don't divorce Mr Twistedcreations. Atv ridding is an addiction and becase of this it needs to be treated as such by just allowing him to do it. Don't try to prevent it or you will only succed in making him want it more.

Sincerly,
Chris
(GuamRaptor)

I hope this will work for you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I learned how to ride on my 700. The only bad thing is I'll never want to try anything else ;). Seriously though, the night I brought it home my 5'7'' 120 lb. wife took it for a spin and had no problem. I say dooooo it!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It's because of shifting I bought the 700 .. told my wife the extra power it had would make up for her lack of knowing how to shift; she could just muscle her way up a hill without having to worry about being in the right gear.
What I thought was a joke turned out to be true. The Raptor has plenty of oomph, perhaps making it safter for a beginner than one with a smaller motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.