Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the sport atv world and am picking up a raptor 700 se tomorrow at lunch but just wanted to ask a quick question. It has full skid plates, spark arrestor was removed, K&N air filter, modified air box ( a hole in the airbox cover with screen covering it to let more air in), performance chip and 22" tires on the rear (can't remember which brand). It has relatively mild use and is in good shape. Seems to run fairly well and starts nice even when cold. The thing is, it has a performance chip that was bought off ebay and I am a car enthusiast and know that many of the crazy claims of making huge power are not always true and sometimes often hurt power. I asked the guy what the brand was but couldn't remember off the top of his head. All he said is it splices into the wires to the intake air sensor (if thats the right terminology for it). So it sounds like removing it won't be a major issue, just undoing a couple of wires. I have read a post on here that someone contacted the seller on ebay of one of these so call "performance chips" which claimed 25hp and the seller got back and said realistically it was 2.5hp. So my thing is, do I leave it on since its there or do I just remove it. Really it makes no difference to me if it goes in the garbage but if there is a potential for a few hp gain I would debate on leaving it. The guy did the air box modification the same time he did the "performance chip" and said he noticed a difference but didn't know which part made the gains. So I am looking to someones expertise on this as I have never owned a sports bike but I want it to run the best it can. Any insight is appreciated. Thought I would post a few pics up of it as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It sounds like it is changing the IAT sensor reading to make it think it is colder air coming in the engine which would make it richer, I would remove the ebay part and put on an aftermarket fuel controller like the PC5 then you could increase the fuel as you need for other mods.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking if the chip does what they do for cars, then all it does is trick the ecu to think there is more air coming in and will dump more fuel in. I don't think the spark arrestor does much for performance (probably just more sounds mainly). So I am thinking any performance gains would have been made by the filter and air box. I may have to look into getting a proper controller to regulate fuel better. I suppose a wideband O2 would let me know if its running lean, but that may be a little too much work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
No, taking the spark arrestor out doesnt do anything for performance...

·
Registered
749 Posts
congrats on the new ride!

i've heard soo many people call fuel controllers "chips." i'd take a pic of it and make sure it's not, in fact, a fuel controller that he is just calling a chip. if it's actually just one of the $30 chips on ebay, then he should have used that money on gas because they are a joke lol

if it's just a cheap chip, then check out the classifieds section. people sell a lot of nice fuel controllers if you don't want to buy new

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
congrats on the new ride!

i've heard soo many people call fuel controllers "chips." i'd take a pic of it and make sure it's not, in fact, a fuel controller that he is just calling a chip. if it's actually just one of the $30 chips on ebay, then he should have used that money on gas because they are a joke lol

if it's just a cheap chip, then check out the classifieds section. people sell a lot of nice fuel controllers if you don't want to buy new
Words outta my mouth RG :beer:

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just brought it home. There is still a fair amount of snow here but it works well with the mud tires. They are 22" tall so it helps with clearance a bit too. I think they are called Gators or something like that. It seems to run nice, I am still getting used to it but the clutch is pretty easy to catch onto. Anyways, I'll try and find out what kind of "chip" it is.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Congrats ! :beer:

Yeah, for sure find out what the 'chip' is. If it's anything but some type of fuel controller, trash it - it's the same you're thinking of that's sold for cars- useless.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear mixed things about putting air filters on require a controller but am going to do a little research today. I would think with an air filter I would be ok as similar mods on sleds don't need to be re-jetted for a can or other minor mods. I think I am going to pull it into the garage in a bit and change the oil and put a new filter in. I can't wait to get it out on a trail. Just playing in the field full of snow I can't get much speed. Guess it gives me some time to get used to it. I also need to find out how many teeth the OEM sprockets have as it has a 2" taller tire in the rear. The guy I got it from said he GPS'ed @ 76mph. I'd like to get a vapour speedo as I would like to find out how many kms I can get per tank. The bike is going to be trail ridden so I would like to know how far I can get on a tank. I've read varying ranges, from 44-90miles.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I am done playing around this afternoon I'm gonna pull it into the garage and change the oil/filter, check the "chip" brand and see if they changed a sprocket.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I hear mixed things about putting air filters on require a controller but am going to do a little research today. I would think with an air filter I would be ok as similar mods on sleds don't need to be re-jetted for a can or other minor mods. I think I am going to pull it into the garage in a bit and change the oil and put a new filter in. I can't wait to get it out on a trail. Just playing in the field full of snow I can't get much speed. Guess it gives me some time to get used to it. I also need to find out how many teeth the OEM sprockets have as it has a 2" taller tire in the rear. The guy I got it from said he GPS'ed @ 76mph. I'd like to get a vapour speedo as I would like to find out how many kms I can get per tank. The bike is going to be trail ridden so I would like to know how far I can get on a tank. I've read varying ranges, from 44-90miles.
YOU NEED A FUEL CONTROLLER IF YOU ARE GETTING AN AIR FILTER THAT INCREASES (or decreases :\) THE AMOUNT OF AIRFLOW! Also if your going to get a fuel controller go with a big three cause now all you'll need is a fancy shmancy exhaust :). Stock sprocket it 14. I suggest leaving is there for trail riding... 15 is really nice for sand and straight aways and 13 is great for wheelies and super tight trails and swinging your butt around a whole bunch. The trail tech vapor is a sweet computer for your bike. If you need installation help Fl. Woods on the forum is great with them. BTW what kind of filter where you going to put in?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I run a 13 tooth sprocket with my 22" rear tires and couldnt be happier. Ride it with the 14 and then try the 13 for yourself. Its cheap torque that pulls the bigger tires around nicely. The 14 will do it, but the 13 is more snappy

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
YOU NEED A FUEL CONTROLLER IF YOU ARE GETTING AN AIR FILTER THAT INCREASES (or decreases :\) THE AMOUNT OF AIRFLOW! Also if your going to get a fuel controller go with a big three cause now all you'll need is a fancy shmancy exhaust :). Stock sprocket it 14. I suggest leaving is there for trail riding... 15 is really nice for sand and straight aways and 13 is great for wheelies and super tight trails and swinging your butt around a whole bunch. The trail tech vapor is a sweet computer for your bike. If you need installation help Fl. Woods on the forum is great with them. BTW what kind of filter where you going to put in?
There is already a K&N air filter in it. I'm not sure if it has been in there since it was new or not but the machine has only been ridden 7-10 times in its life. It still looks clean so not sure if the guy I got it from cleaned it or not. I wouldn't think it would give much more power, maybe 1hp (if even that much). I'm probably not going to invest much money in the bike, just going to drive it and enjoy it. The one thing I may look into is getting the vapour gauge so I can know how far I've gone/can go on a tank of fuel.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run a 13 tooth sprocket with my 22" rear tires and couldnt be happier. Ride it with the 14 and then try the 13 for yourself. Its cheap torque that pulls the bigger tires around nicely. The 14 will do it, but the 13 is more snappy
I've been driving the machine for most of the day just playing in the snow and it doesn't seem to do too bad with the way it is setup. I am kinda thinking it has the stock sprockets so maybe someday if I wanted to lower it to a 13 I could do that to see if I like it. As I doubt I will be using the top end of the 14 tooth with 22" rear tires. I was kinda wondering if many people run the 22 on the rear and leave the 21 on the front. I have heard it can mess up the handling but it seems pretty good to me (but I'm used to big heavy 4x4 ATV's).. Anyways, I just pulled it into the garage and put the heat on to melt some of the snow out of it before I change the oil and whatnot.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If the 'chip' splices into the sensor on the air intake it is not a fuel controller. All of the fule controllers piggyback off the existing connector for the injector. Some piggyback off the existing connector for the TPS, some splice into the TPS with a wire tap.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I got the seat off and found the chip. It appears its one of the ebay chips, a "Genesis performance chip". I did a little search and it claims "25hp" but then I found in smaller print that 1-7hp were more typical gains. Anyways, I'll post up some pics of the "chip" and the K&N air filter/air box. It looks like there is only 2 wires going to the chip so it shouldn't be too hard to remove it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Last thursday I ordered a PCV and am waiting to come in the mail when it gets here and I find a map good enough to run it I am going to sell my HMF controller if interested PM me would let it go fairly cheap.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts