Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Sorry if this is hard to fallow, to many gas fumes and not enough sleep. :(

Now, I may be able to lend some trouble shooting advice to those with a glowing head pipe issue. As I was trouble shooting my own glowing pipe issue I noticed a few things.

First off the added mods, vibration or something caused my idle to be bumped up quite a bit. It was at 1850 not the recommended 1500-1700 as stated in the service manual (3-34 I think)

Anyway take a look at the maps below, I was able to correct my issue in about 10 minuets. The Pic's and references are for a PCIII but maybe some help to others as well.

Dyno Jet Map

- Worst map of all, ran like crap, spit fire out the exhaust, pipes were glowing red as can be!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Notice that the area of the fuel map in the cell were my idle was set was not changed, leading to a lean idle

Map 2

-This map corrected the glowing pipe issue, notice it has a increase up to 2000 rpm

Popular Map

-GREAT map, but I still had a issue with the glowing pipe. (fuel enritchment stops @ 1500) Once I noticed this I added fuel up to the 200RPM mark, The glow went away!

I set the idle back to 1550 and reloaded the original map,.....NO GLOW!!!!!

My map
- I played with maps to come up with one I liked, I was able to bring the fuel at idle down and keep the pipe from glowing.

So, you may give it a try and see what happens for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Counter clockwise to lower, clockwise to raise idle

·
Registered
163 Posts
great effort, thanks for the input.. should come in handy for when i go tomorrow :beer:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just curious, what does Yamaha say about this problem? Is this happening on the 07 bikes as well?

MK

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tiggyboot said:
Just curious, what does Yamaha say about this problem? Is this happening on the 07 bikes as well?

MK
I would think they would say it is up to the rider or owner to make sure that adjustments are in check, either by regular service at the dealer or by a knowledgeable technician.

It is not really a huge issue on a stock quad.

Thanks guys,
Reading it now I realize how out of it I was.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hallz said:
Tiggyboot said:

MK
I would think they would say it is up to the rider or owner to make sure that adjustments are in check, either by regular service at the dealer or by a knowledgeable technician.

It is not really a huge issue on a stock quad.

Thanks guys,
Reading it now I realize how out of it I was.
ah ok, thanks, whew, had me all worried...and I haven't even picked my new bike up yet. I'll be doing the bolt on protection stuff right away, but the performace mods will wait until spring, the factory set up will provide for more then enough fun for now. But I'm glad there are options anyway to improve the stock performace when you want that little bit more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tiggyboot said:

MK
Problem? What problem? The glowing pipe is just one of the inevitable things that result when you try to make a large displacement engine meet strict emissions requirements. Yamaha could have made the header smaller and then put a cover over it, but that just lowers performance and increased weight and cost.

If it bothers you, just richen it up. But federal law prevents Yamaha from doing that - or you, actually. But the feds have not chased individuals for tampering and not meeting emissions requirements - yet.

·
Registered
779 Posts
mws said:
Tiggyboot said:

MK
Problem? What problem? The glowing pipe is just one of the inevitable things that result when you try to make a large displacement engine meet strict emissions requirements. Yamaha could have made the header smaller and then put a cover over it, but that just lowers performance and increased weight and cost.

If it bothers you, just richen it up. But federal law prevents Yamaha from doing that - or you, actually. But the feds have not chased individuals for tampering and not meeting emissions requirements - yet.
Cut a guy some slack. I just came off an Outlander 800 and the exhaust and heat from the engine was so rediculously hot that is melted the plastic and your damn a$$. Summer riding was very uncomfortable. So when I see red hot glowing exhaust...it made me a little nervous.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a couple pairs of melted pants and my plastics are melted by the fender. I hate that. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts