Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had time to mess with my new system and I finally got a chance to throw it on and try it out. Here's my question, when I'm at idle my headers just glow red and I know this means it is running lean so what type of jets should I run? I am at 1350ft above sea level. I have a Dyno Jet kit that has a few mains but that is it, I am about to purchase a GYTR kit with everything. I am running with the lid on and a Pro Flow intake and the full yoshi system. Also when I try to remove my gas tank the fuel line that connects to the valve seems like it is glued on. I pulled as hard as I could and it still wont budge! Any tricks to getting this bugger off?

Thanks In Advanced! :help:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
First off, glowing headers at idle is normal after a few minutes. No big deal, no need to change things.

Second, to get the fuel line off, stick a screw driver up there and pry it off. You need to break the seal that has happened after years of not touching it. Work some gas down the tube and it will make it easier to get off.

What main jets are you running?

·
Registered
51 Posts
my puwerbomb glows like a champ too but my jetting seems spot on

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't the first time it started glowing, i had the exhaust on for close to a month but never rode it any further than just down my road. I don't know what jets are in it but as soon as I can pull off my fuel line I am going to check. I know they are not stock. Tonight I'll pry the line off and get into the carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a DMC Afterburner full exhaust for my bike. I had bought the FMF Power Up jet kit along with it, but come to find out when it arrives that it doesnt have large enough main jets. The largest main jet that it came with was a 148, and i needed a 160 and a 155. I installed it anyways, seeming as I had just put this new pipe on and was just itching to start it up to hear it. I fired it up and sure enough, probably 30 seconds after i had started it the headers were glowing cherry red. That was just from warming it up. I wanted to take it around the yard anyways to try it out, figured it couldn't hurt it too bad, so I took it out of my garage and rode it around the driveway and up the road a couple hundred feet. Keep in mind that we were right in the middle of a cold snap, and it was 20 below zero outside. I looked down at my headers and they were glowing bright orange after just putt putting around. Running really lean. It had no power to speak of. I ran it with the choke all the way on from where I was back into the garage and shut it off. I ordered the right sized main jets right off when I got inside. Got them a few days later and put them in. The bike ran good after that, i mean the power I got from the pipe was incredible, but now, if I let it idle after it was warmed up, the headers would glow bright orange like before. It was bad. So I ordered 27.5 pilot jets. They were too big. It would fire right up, but once it warmed up, it would stall and would smell bad. Flooded. 25 pilot jets are what i put in and they are just about perfect, but they are a touch on the lean side. When the motor is warm, it idles not quite as steady as I would like, but if i bump the choke on a bit, it idles like a champ. IDK if any of my rambling will help you or not, but this is how everything played out for me. Runs good for the most part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that my headers do glow a dark red at idle once the motor is warmed up. Like I said, the 25's are a little on the lean side for my bike.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my bike it idles perfect but when you start to drive down the road you can feel and hear it not quite getting all the power it should be. So Now I just need to get the throttle cable off and I'll go through my carbs, clean 'em, re jet etc. and see how she rips.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the carbs off rejetted it at 148/150 (DJ) w/ no lid this time and left everything else stock and she's rips like never before!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts