Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to go with an 11.1 hi comp piston when i do my big bore 686cc next riding season. Also I will probably be adding a stage 1 cam. I know stage 2 is better but I need to save money somewhere☹. Can I run 91 octane? That's all we have around here. 02 raptor 660

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
91 should be fine, thats what i run in my 11:1 660. You probably already know this but the stage 1 cam will work with oem valve springs. Stage 2 or biggger will require hd valve springs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I really wanted the stg 2 but between adding the new springs and I know that if I have the head apart like that then I won't be able to help myself and I would get it a p&p job done

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would focus more on making sure i had good valves, seats, and springs than porting. I know its more moneys, but you dont want to do a top end job and then drop a valve. I would consider replacing the cam chain too if you dont know how old it is. What performance mods do you have already? Intake? Exhaust? Jet kit?

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
605 Posts
+1
660's are all Old now, and most all have alot of hours on them as a result.
11.1 piston and stage1 cam is not really a high stress set up either, but given the stress on the stock valve train from normal wear and tear, you don't want higher and longer valve lift with higher compression on a well worn valve train.
I know it gets expensive fast, but so does dropping or bending a valve.
Spend a little more now, and alot less later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice from both of you. I'm not sure the hours on the chain, I'm not the first owner. I do run it ALOT tho. I have a proflow intake no lid, full Yoshi exhaust, and 12 tooth front sprocket. I don't have a "jet kit" but I'm running 25 pilots and 170/180 mains. She runs great! If I go with new springs, seals, and seats I might as well do the stg 2 cam. Wouldn't you think?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,178 Posts
Thanks for the advice from both of you. I'm not sure the hours on the chain, I'm not the first owner. I do run it ALOT tho. I have a proflow intake no lid, full Yoshi exhaust, and 12 tooth front sprocket. I don't have a "jet kit" but I'm running 25 pilots and 170/180 mains. She runs great! If I go with new springs, seals, and seats I might as well do the stg 2 cam. Wouldn't you think?
Yep, I believe both cams are the same price.
Changing the cam, springs and porting doesn't change the jetting. Only changes to carbs or exhaust do.
And, yes, change the timing chain. it's good insurance.
Pull the head once and do the work once. Be sure to check it for warpage.
ALWAYS use a factory head gasket.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
605 Posts
Have you done the "Clear tube method", to properly set the float height?
It's worth doing if you haven't.
It's not 10hp, but it does smooth things out and improve throttle response(assuming they're out of spec).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done the clear tube method. I believe it's to set it at 2mm above the float bowl. But how does the carb not leak from the overflow tube?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts