Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys - I am heading to Little Sahara (Oklahoma) March 9th for the weekend.... I have the GYTR high flow airfilter (same as the K&N).... I have my air box lid removed....

Do i need to buy the "pre-filter" (outerwear thing) to put over my filter so the sand doesnt get in ? ? ?

Like i said i have never been to the dunes, so i am just wondering.... so i knw whether to buy the pre filter things before i go if i need too.
Any other suggestions that you all want to give me for my first trip to the dunes ? ? I just ordered a set of rear ITP sand stars..... its about a 6 hour drive from my home. What stuff should i bring - like besides a tire repair kit ? ? ? ?

thanks guys- Plattner

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A pre-filter is a good thing. It should keep out most all sand from the K&N. Now I have never duned at Little Sahara, but I do know when riding in sand it's no good to stop with the front of your quad pointing to the top of the hill. If it's to steep you wont be able to get moving again. Watch out for razer back also!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Might wanna get that thing on the dyno to check the tune on it ;)....other than that I hope you suffer from arm pump from all that torque and have to stop frequently to get your fingers unrapped from the handle bars were they cramped up on ya :thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea my flag that i have is only 7 feet tall.... and they say you have to have a flag 10 feet tall.... so im just going to buy one once i get there...

veloci - i am trying to get my damn bike on the dyno.... i just havent had anytime at all every since i got the bike back togethr.... I am hoping that i can take it in this weekend, and then pick it up next week right before i head to the dunes....

Plattner

·
Registered
79 Posts
You'll have a blast. Anyone been to little sahara and glamis? I'm curious to how they differ in size, sand type, etc. I just visited imperial sand dunes (basically glamis, at least connected to it) a few days ago. It rocked this MN boy's world... lol!

Paddle tires not required.. I had a blast with the stockers, and a stock Z400.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have never seen a 10' tall flag pole for a quad. I bet they want it to be 10' from the ground.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A seven foot flag will do!! because it mounts about three feet off the ground when on the back grab bar of our quads. ;)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The most important tip is to know what's on the other side of the dune BEFORE you shoot over it.

Second bit of advice: Dunes can be intimidating. If you hesitate to gun it or decide to chicken out while climbing a dune make sure to make your U-turn before you get too high into your climb. Loose too much momentum on the way up and giving it full throttle could result in burying the rear tires if you're in first (the Raptor 700 has an incredible amount of torque in that gear).

·
Registered
497 Posts
A tire repair kit is always a good idea but will most likely go un-used in the dunes. Everything on all my bikes still looks brand new after many, many hours of riding. The sand is easy on your bike.
Bring a good riding backpack with a water bladder or room for several water bottles. Take a camera so we can see the pics. Wrap the camera in two zip lock bags. Even doing this you will still find sand in your camera, sorry.
GPS never hurt anyone either. I have no idea what the dunes look like where you are going but in Glamis everything looks the same for miles around. If you do not have a keen sense of direction, you could find yourself lost.
Don't worry about the dyno tune part, even a stock 700 has enough nut to get up the largest dunes you will find. I don't use 1st for much more than moving through camp. Stay in the higher gears and use the torque to get around.
3lbs. of air in your paddles will give you a ton of traction. Don't run more than 4 in the fronts.
You will be impressed at how smooth the dunes are even if they are chopped up with a lot of tire tracks in them, they are still pretty forgiving.
Hopefully you are going with a group that is experienced. Having a seasoned rider take the lead and get you in a good flow cannot be described to a first time rider; there is nothing like it.
If you are by yourself or just a couple of you, make some friends at camp and let them know your newbie’s and let them know you want to ride with some people that know the area. Every group has their groove, respect it. Don't try to pass people in the line unless they wave you around. Everyone likes to dune with a courteous rider whether they are experienced or not.
Have lots of cocktails, when you’re done riding for the day.
Let us know how it was.

·
Registered
91 Posts
BadRap said:
I have never seen a 10' tall flag pole for a quad. I bet they want it to be 10' from the ground.
Yep, 10' from the ground while mounted on the quad. They have a pole that runs horizontal overhead and the flag has to touch when you go thru the gate. They've really cracked down on it the last few years.

legbuh said:
You'll have a blast. Anyone been to little sahara and glamis? I'm curious to how they differ in size, sand type, etc. I just visited imperial sand dunes (basically glamis, at least connected to it) a few days ago. It rocked this MN boy's world... lol!

Paddle tires not required.. I had a blast with the stockers, and a stock Z400.
Haven't been to Glamis YET but it is high on my priority list. Its just so [email protected] far from Missouri! Little Sahara in Oklahoma is awesome so it will do just fine until I get the chance.

Headrope said:
The most important tip is to know what's on the other side of the dune BEFORE you shoot over it.

Second bit of advice: Dunes can be intimidating. If you hesitate to gun it or decide to chicken out while climbing a dune make sure to make your U-turn before you get too high into your climb. Loose too much momentum on the way up and giving it full throttle could result in burying the rear tires if you're in first (the Raptor 700 has an incredible amount of torque in that gear).
:thumbsup:

Later,
Matt

·
Registered
273 Posts
I always leave my prefilter on in the dunes, eventhough its sand you still encounter dust sometimes. I ride at Glamis a few times a year. The sand is the best!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys so much.... thank you all for all the advice and info... glad to hear my flag will work, so i dont have to buy a new one....
The guys i am going with have never been either, but a guy on the forum is going to be there that same weekend, and he said he is coming with a group of like 50 from Wisconsin... and so i figure my buds and i can kinda tag along with them for the first couple days.
I am definanlty taking my camera so i can take MANY pics.... i will be posting them after i get back.... guess the dunes will be a good test for the engine work i just had done... see how much power my bike really has....
Thanks for letting my know abt tire pressure in the sand stars... bcs i was wondering about that. I will run around 3 psi in them...

thanks agina fellas -
Plattner

·
2 Time (09,10) RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
655 Posts
Plattner,

I think you'll love the dunes. If any of you need to buy a flag down there, there is a store between the dunes and downtown that has lifetime warranty on their flag poles.

I usually camp at the North gate, as it is usually not near as busy to get in and out of. One of the main dragging places is just out of the South gate. If it is very windy, and especially at night, be careful about the dunes 'peaking'. Might be a pretty straight down drop off that you don't want to launch off of. :eek:
Also, at night there is a beacon at each gate. If you get lost, just go the the top of a big dune and look for those.

There is a nice mixture of everything at Little Sahara. Pretty fun to go all out "cat-n-mouse" in the woods trails at night. We just try to loose the guy behind us for a little while. :thumbsup:

Let me know how your trip goes. Maybe I'll catch the next one.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you very much for the information and help.... thanks for the info abt the beacons... bcs i want to go riding at night, but i was worried about finding my way back...

Do i get to choose where i want to camp at... like north gate or south gate.... I just want to camp where everyone else is... so at night we all can drink and have a good time...
I definantly want to find this store you are talking about that has the lifetime warranty flags....
I will be doing some racing while im there.... so im sure i will find the drag place... ha ha

thanks Plattner

·
2 Time (09,10) RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
655 Posts
Ya, you get to chose where you want to camp. Just pick an empty spot and setup camp. They may or may not come by and collect the money. (At the North campground at least) :3question:

I usually go down with a big group. North campground is a little easier for us to stay close together. Usually have a firepit going with drinking and bullsh**ing. There are usually more people and a lot more total camping spaces at the south campground if that is what you are looking for. :thumbsup: Once you learn your way around, you can easily get from North to South Campground through the dunes. It took me a couple trips to 'learn my way around' though. :grin_nod:
On our winter trips, we usually rent a house down there. You can do this pretty cheap after splitting it between a few people. We went down during March one year and it was around 20 degrees at night and we were camping in a summer oriented tent. Somehow I talked my wife into staying! I woke up with frost on my pillow on each side of where my head was! Of course, we had plenty of blankets and sleeping bags.

Hmm... what else... $7/day collected at gate. They will check coolers etc. at the gate into the dunes. No alcohol supposed to be allowed in the dunes. Last time, my brother-n-law had a beer-mobile. Big Kodiak 450 with camo saddle bags. They never did check those. There is a trail to ride to town during daylight. Make sure you stay on the marked trails when you get into town, they WILL ticket you.
If it has been raining down there before/during your trip, the sand will be very rough. Hopefully it will be dry and windy before you go, and just dry while your there. This will make for a little softer sand.

Little Sahara Powersports also has a couple stores right at the dunes, just a little more expensive. They rent paddles there if you need them, but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Plattner you might want to bring a saw, glue and drill wit a drill bit just in case you take a spill, because you may snap your flag if it does not have a spring on it. If you do just cut the pole right above the mount, drill out the broke off piece, then glue it and stick the pole back into the mount. Let dry and mount it back to your bike and have some more fun. Be careful not to take to many spills cuz you will start to get your flag to short. If you dont have an outwear I have used pantyhoes before, just a temporary thing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Anybody that goes to little sahara in OK going to the snake hunt in April?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as long as i have a good time at the dunes.... i am planning on making the trip alot... ha ha
What is the snake hunt ? ? when in april is it ? ?

Plattner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.