Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
If you simply want to get by on the cheap then look for used 660 CDIs on ebay since most of the aftermarket boxes are only high rev limit boxes with little to offer in performance gains for the investment. If you would like a good upgrade that will be beneficial later down the road then get the dyna programmable for the 660.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
yep pretty much...but I doubt your CDI is the problem...they aren't known to be the issue

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buddy of mine seems to think that my bike is having spark issues and said that the CDI box might be junk. I have no idea. It's running like a turd.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Is it the reverse rev limiter or parking brake/clutch lever switch limiter?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
A buddy of mine seems to think that my bike is having spark issues and said that the CDI box might be junk. I have no idea. It's running like a turd.
Describe running like a turd, I've never seen one run..............:D
There are lots of reason why a Raptor wont run right other then the cdi, The cdis arent known to cause problems, but there are lots of other things such as the Park Brake rev limiter problem, reverse rev limiter problem, dirty carbs, fouled spark plugs, etc.......................:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys ready? haha. Ok here's the the deal. I've been posting threads about maybe needing to rejet my carbs to compensate for the LEXX MXE slip on exhaust that I put on. You guys have helped me out a lot and I really appreciate it. Here's my problem. I blew the top end about a month ago. One of the retaining clips on one of the valves let go. The valve dropped and tore open my piston. Then the valve wedged itself into the head. Well, I had the top end completely rebuilt and had my exhaust thrown on at the same time. When I got the bike back, it wouldn't hold an idle. I adjusted the air/fuel screws and got it idling. The bike ran amazing for about and hour and a half. Then out of nowhere it started stuttering and backfiring while on the gas. Mostly from half to full throttle. My first thought was a clogged jet. So I took apart the carbs and cleaned everything thoroughly. Still ran like crap. So next, I checked the plug. Sure enough. Lean fouled. (white) So I changed it. Still no progress. So now I'm stuck. I have been talking to a bike mechanic with 20+ years of experience and he seems to think it's not the jets. He said that even with too small of jets, it shouldn't be backfiring and stuttering like this. He mentioned something about it seeming like I have an air leak somewhere. Like there is way too much air being pushed through the motor. He said that I should spray starter fluid or carb cleaner around the motor and carbs to see if it gets sucked in. He also mentioned something about an axillary pump? Like the fuel is being held up somewhere. Do you guys have any insight on this. I'm completely lost with all of this. It's my first quad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
do the parking brake and reverse mods and check your rubber carb boots for rips or cracks and make sure they are seated on the intake tubes correctly...thats more than likely where your air is being sucked in

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Tommy. I just read through both of them and I don't believe that either one of them is my problem. Very informative though.

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
WHat does lean 'smell' like? Obvious what rich smells like.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just rejetted the bike and no progress. I'm running a 145 jet in the left carbs and a 150 in the right. Needles on last notch and fuel screws out 2.5 turns. I'm running a Lexx slip on and that's it for performance mods. I'm also 300ft above sea level. Bike still falls on its face and backfires at half throttle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts