Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to Attica IN to the badlands yesterday with my buddies. we took:
raptor 700R SE black and orange<-----mine
raptor 700R (white plastics)
polaris pred 500
kawi brute force 700 4X4
honda 250 CR
honda 250 XR

sorry no pics yet i didn't take my digital camera but we bought some cheapo disposables. if we can get the pics developed i will scan and post them. my buddy kinda face planted in some water that was about 2 feet deep with the camera in his pocket, but more on that later.

over view of the badlands, deffently go if you can. the best "raptoring" (i saw that word in a post earilier :grin_nod: ) i have ever been doing. there is sand dunes, the stickiest goopiest mud i have ever seen, trails up in the woods, water bogs, crazy jumps, big rocks and much more. we didn't even see the whole park.

ok now for some stories, once again sorry no pics yet.

well we were out in the woods tring to find the best path through where alot of 4X4 trucks have gone. well my buddy on his pred says "i can make it" so he goes barreling through jumping in and out of small mud holes and just barely misses the one that was about 5 feet wide by about 7 feet long. so he gets to the other side pretty easy. so i say "well shit i have more power than him i'll be just fine" so i go miss everything just as he did but almost fall in the big one. then we yell over to the other guy on the 700R "come on it's easy" so he goes ends up jumping out the a little mud hole with way to much speed. so as you can probably guess he went in the big one. it stoped so sudden it threw him off and he face plants right in the mud. i couldn't have been better. it looked like a comedy movie. well he has a GYTR front bumper and the mud went to the top of it and since he slid down the bank at an angle the top of the mud was just under his header and straight back at that level. it was funny as hell. he didn't get hurt do to the fact he landed in 2 feet of mud and just floated there. well my other friend on the brute comes over with no trouble and has to drag him out. thank god we took the tow strap.

my buddy on the pred and my other friend on the 700R went a different route back to the trucks then me and the guy on the brute. well this is just what they told me in this story. they were going along just fine and then a big water hole was bigger and deeper then they thought and the guy on the pred ended up just barreling into that and flying off his quad. face plants in the water hole. (camera in pocket like stated in the beginning) well the guy on the raptor has to help him out because the brute was on his way back to the truck. so he hops back on his pred gives it the gas loads up the raptor rides helmet with pure muddy water and soaks him from head to toe. so they get back to the trucks dripping wet and covered in mud.

the guys on the dirt bike were off on their own pretty much the whole day since we got there so no stories from them beside the one in the injury report.

injury report:
scratched leg from handle bars when flying into the mud pit.
scratched leg from the foot peg from dumping the dirt bike at the bottom of a dune when the front tire dug in.
the burte force kept over heating after he was in the water bog and sucked up some water.
and many sore muscles

all in all a great trip and i can't wait to get back there.

i'll take pics of my raptor before i wash it today and post them later.

before the bath

and after the bath.

i took my skid off to clean they are back on now.

has anyone snapped a skid bolt off in the swingarm? if so then how did you fix it. i broke mine putting it back on. it's in the back of the skid so nothing will get up under it still but i want to get it fixed. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Looks good dirty and clean. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If the bolt is still in it you'll have to drill it out with a small drill bit being carful not to go into the threads. Then whatever size hole you make put in a metal screw without breaking itand try to back it out. If it doesn't engage enough put red loctite on it let it sit overnight and try to loosen it the next day.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't you love how the mud just bakes to the head pipe. Looks like you had a good time. You can do as the Dr. said or drill it out next size up and run a tap through it. I even think some brands tell you to do that in the instructions. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How do you get it so clean. No matter how long i wash mine i can never get it that clean!!! To get the head pipes clean i use a scotch bright pad or a stainless steel brush. And also drill a small hole in the broken bolt and use a "easy out" and use the easy out in a drill gun and it will back the bolt out.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Looks like you had fun. :thumbsup:

We have been wanting to make a trip up there but things always come up lol

Maybe this fall :unsure:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like some good times.
I've been looking at heading up that way, but its about a 3 hour trech from where I am located. Sounds like they got some a little of everything, which is exactly what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blueyamaha said:
How do you get it so clean. No matter how long i wash mine i can never get it that clean!!! To get the head pipes clean i use a scotch bright pad or a stainless steel brush. And also drill a small hole in the broken bolt and use a "easy out" and use the easy out in a drill gun and it will back the bolt out.
to get it as clean as i did i took the pressure washer to it and then hit it with the old soap bucket and rag. then i did my dads spot free rinse method which is using the leaf blower to dry it off. :thumbsup: works every time.

blueyamaha said:
we have a set of easy outs around here i think i will try what everyone said and drill it then put the easy out to it. thanks guys.

Hemi/Raptor700 said:
Looks like some good times.
I've been looking at heading up that way, but its about a 3 hour trech from where I am located. Sounds like they got some a little of everything, which is exactly what I am looking for.
yeah they have something for everyone for sure. hope you can make it up sometime you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is anyone going to be at the Badlands on May 19th? 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
My skid bolts did the same thing. One broke off on the trail and the other when I took off the skid to clean underneath. Ended up drilling the ends and using an easy out type tool. With dad's help of course. We ended up drilling the holes and retapping them from a 6m to an 8m. Got some 8m bolts from Lowes and made some sleeves for the bolts. They SHOULD hold up better now but we'll have to see.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bmust67 said:
Is anyone going to be at the Badlands on May 19th? 8)
hey man we are all going back to the badlands on the 19th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts