Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! 2nd post here...
I finally found a 700R after months of searching..
It's a beautiful machine, but I noticed something and would love some input!

When I am slowing down and even if I clutch all the way in, it dies. If I start it back up, it will just keep dying over and over again. Only way to get it started again is to keep feathering on the throttle and keeping those RPMs up while starting.
It doesn't happen every single time, sometimes it's just fine, and then other times throughout the day it would just start happening again.
I don't think it's idling too low, but I don't really know that for sure...

I'm not too mechanically included, as much as I wish I was.

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Start with easy items. Put in a brand new plug and report back with the results.

Reactions: rsnate

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had a chance to look @ the spark plug yet, but I did find that it's got a Power Commander V installed.
I don't know anything about those, but could that be causing any issues as well?

Just something to add I thought to the post.
I'll still check the plug!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@morphrider - put a new plug in it today, and that didn't help. So then I tried loading a new map from the Dynojet website for my list of mods (not exact), but same problem still happens...

Could it be idle? When plugged up to the PCV - it says im idling at 1100 / 1200 - could that be too low???

If you do think idle could be a problem, could you please let me know if the Idle adjust screw can be adjusted freely? Or is the process more complicated and have to adjust the TPS too??

:\

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Idle can be adjusted with the thumbscrew/phillips head on the left side of the throttle body.
Stock idle is 950 rpm.
The TPS is set at the factory, and is not to be adjusted unless it is removed or it fails and is replaced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Sixpack577

So idle should be fine around 1k? These guys were saying RPM should be closer to 1600 or more?

What's the difference and why some idles are higher than others?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So tonight, put a brand new spark plug in it, added a new map, and then adjusted the idle to between 1700/1750.

The problem still mostly happens. It's better, but still happening.

Here is how I can recreate the problem. After letting it get up to operating temperatures, if I rev the engine to about 2500/3000 RPMS a few times, eventually when the throttle is pressed in, you can almost hear the engine just cut out, and you hear a little bit of a pop sound (best way I can describe it).
The engine comes back, but the idle goes back down to 1100/1200 where it was before. It will just stay there, never idles back to where it was.

Now, if I give it a burst of BIG throttle to like 4500 RPMS, it will stay alive and then the idle goes right back to where I set it to tonight, 1700.

I'm a bit lost on this...

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Take it for a ride and see if there is a difference with a load put on it vs revving in the garage.

Reactions: rsnate

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@morphrider - So rode it around today, and I wasn't able to get it to happen again while riding. So maybe thats a good sign!

I can definitely hear sometimes when the bike starts idling lower than normal. Is there any sort of "mechanism" in the Raptor that if it's getting hot it wants to lower the RPMs and save heat or anything?
I saw the Idle drop when it was sitting in the garage too, but i'm not sure what it could be. After a good bit of a throttle the Idle goes back to normal.

But yeah, so far didn't stall while riding. Maybe too soon to tell, but going to watch it close.

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Just like starting a vehicle, the RPM's will drop some once it starts warming up. Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@morphrider - Just want to be clear, cause I don't always explain well. When I start the bike cold, it idles high at around 2k RPMS. Then once operating temp is reached, it goes where I set around 1700.

I'm still seeing a drop to around 1100 / 1200 at times while I was riding or when I was testing in the garage. It will stay at that range until I get back on the gas, never goes back up.
Didn't know if that was weird behavior after it was already plenty warm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What happens when u set idle to stock settings 950 ?.?

From what I reading you have it set to high

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Raptor 700, Barkers duals, fci, PC5, +3tb, ported head, +1 valves, 5050 cam, 745cc, 12:1,
140 Posts
I set my 2015 700 idle around 1600 as well. It will idle a bit higher when cold but won't drop like yours unless I'm in gear with the clutch in. I assume your air filter is clean? Does your PC5 have adjustable timing? If so, make sure its not adjusting it around your idle points or that will certainly cause erraric idle as the timing is adjusted there. It's also possible you have a small air leak that will raise idle but this doesnt sound like that unless it leaks only at certain times and predictably. Make sure your hoses are all connected to the air intake pipe though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after a couple of 10-15 minute rides, I can't really seem to get it to stall anymore while riding.
Riding, pulling in the clutch etc, all seems normal and no stalling.

Still kind of weird that even when it's full warmed up, sometimes the idle drops to around 1100, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just focusing on it too much at this point.

After getting on the gas the idle goes back to 1700...

Happy to hear other ideas too of course on anything I could try, or if it's abnormal...
Filter is clean
Put fresh gas
Checked hoses, everything seems ok

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could it be a throttle cable issue? I think it was Cuervo that had a video about routing cables and issues with revs etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Beard_lyfe - good thought! I can check that out, I think I have seen that video.
The Power commander sooftware says the throttle is at 0 when it happens though, and happens when bike is parked as well as moving.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@Beard_lyfe - good thought! I can check that out, I think I have seen that video.
The Power commander sooftware says the throttle is at 0 when it happens though, and happens when bike is parked as well as moving.
Hmm interesting. Have you hit up Cuervo for a tune yet? It would be worth the $25 to rule out the current tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Beard_lyfe Ope! I should have mentioned that. I did get a tune from him, and after that plus raising the idle to 1700, the bike at least hasn't stalled.

Idle still weird at times like mentioned above.

He also mentioned the AIS block off, and that's already on the bike as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts