Raptor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When looking at the power commander, what does the Fuel Adjust mean? This is while idling.

Mine is showing 20, and was mostly curious.

So far, I really can't get it to stall out again. Idle sort of doesn't stay steady 100% of the the time( like mentioned above) , but... It runs good when riding. So I may not be able to do much more for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When calibrating your pcv for wide open throttle, what is the starting voltage on the TPS?

If I remember right, cuevo set my idle fuel pretty fat too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@CantFeelMyLegs - If I remember right, the voltage on the TPS was at .68 or .69, can't remember exactly, but it was nearly perfect in spec according to what the software was saying.

What exactly does Fuel Adj mean??

·
Registered
2015 Raptor 700, Barkers duals, fci, PC5, +3tb, ported head, +1 valves, 5050 cam, 745cc, 12:1,
140 Posts
+20 sounds pretty rich at idle for 0% throttle. I'll have to check mine and see what it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is a quick video. I started it up and let it run for about 3 -4 minutes. This is after that warmup period, after the RPMs dropped from the higher 2k range (cold start), down to the normal idle I have set at around 1750 ish.

Does that seem normal @ all? It will stay at that low range until I get on the gas again, and then it will stay around 170 again. Happens while riding... Had another few stalls today...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm still at a loss on this one. I took it to the dealer, and they said the valves need to be adjusted. They did so, but as soon as I got it home it's still happening.
It idles fine most of the time, but then all of a sudden it will just bog down and start idling in the low 1,000s which will eventually cause it to stall in the woods/riding, and sometimes even when just pulling in the clutch.

Reminder of changes to bike:
PC5
Dual Exhaust
Customs Intake
It also appears to have the smog delete done

I don't know what to do from here, getting increasingly frustrated. Spent a lot on this machine cause they are a hot item right now. Been nothing but trouble :[

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Here is a quick video. I started it up and let it run for about 3 -4 minutes. This is after that warmup period, after the RPMs dropped from the higher 2k range (cold start), down to the normal idle I have set at around 1750 ish.

Does that seem normal @ all? It will stay at that low range until I get on the gas again, and then it will stay around 170 again. Happens while riding... Had another few stalls today...
That rpm is the same range where my 2020 idles on it's Vapor dash, and my engine sounds like it is idling at the same rpm as well.
My mechanical idle adjustment is completely backed out on the the throttle body too, and I have the idle set as low as possible.
My engine is completely stock, but it idles well, and even though I actually think it should idle lower, I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That rpm is the same range where my 2020 idles on it's Vapor dash, and my engine sounds like it is idling at the same rpm as well.
My mechanical idle adjustment is completely backed out on the the throttle body too, and I have the idle set as low as possible.
My engine is completely stock, but it idles well, and even though I actually think it should idle lower, I haven't had any problems with it.
My issue is that it's idling low which appears to cause it to stall.
I watched YouTube videos on setting the idle. So when the idle adjustment screw is all the way out, it's about to die. My understanding is this is what you want.
I screw it in a couple of turns and that starts to raise it.
However, during the time it's having it's issues (idle dropping). I can tighten the idle screw all the way in and it will not raise the idle... which seems like odd behavior

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
If you can mechanically adjust the cable to increase idle, but the idle not increase, would tell me the throttle position sensor is bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you can mechanically adjust the cable to increase idle, but the idle not increase, would tell me the throttle position sensor is bad.
Sensor is reading in Spec, and shows 0% at closed, and 100% on WOT. I don't know how to test it more than that though.
I'm not sure how the Idle adjust screw works, but if I tighten that thing up.... it should raise the idle, but when it's having the problem of low idle it won't touch it at all...

If the bike is idling normally at 1700 where I set it, and showing no symptoms. Then the idle screw works as intended. Backing it out lowers, and tightening in will raise the idle.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The idle screw is simply an adjustable stop for the throttle linkage travel.
Remove the 3 phillips head screws on the cover and you will see it.
Other than a sticking or improperly routed cable, the problem cannot be mechanical, it must be electrical, unless you can find an air leak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The idle screw is simply an adjustable stop for the throttle linkage travel.
Remove the 3 phillips head screws on the cover and you will see it.
Other than a sticking or improperly routed cable, the problem cannot be mechanical, it must be electrical, unless you can find an air leak.
That helps me understand now, thank you!
Well, it looks like the previous guy had put a smog delete on it. I wonder if it's something with that... (AIS block off?) Maybe the hole isn't capped off under the seat or something...
I haven't checked that yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I also have a Cuervo AIS delete on mine, no issues with it, and it works as it should.
Since I didn't take mine off, anything you think I should check? There is a place under the seat on the intake that is supposed to be capped isn't it? Could taht be an issue ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
After looking at my cuervo map again, the 0% throttle column is set at 10 from 500rpms to 3000rpms.

Have you tried adjusting your 0% throttle column yet?
I actually reached out to Cuervo and he had me adjust it slightly, but made no change. I'm not sure how to keep changing it from there....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I had the shop replace the TPS sensor just in case, and that made no change at all. I'm just replacing parts experimentally at this point...

Just as a test, I adjusted the Idle Stop screw (10mm) nut to be pretty high (1600), and then used the normal idle screw to get the rest of the way to 1700.
Warms up around 1900 RPMs, returns to normal idle around 1700 after 5 minutes.

Still, it will randomly keep falling to around 1100/1200 idle and sounds like it's about to die. Out on the trail under load, it will start stalling....
Checked battery voltage and everything, it's fine.

You can almost hear the bike running like a "wave" it's going up and down quite a bit. it's not just idling steady....
When it's idling low, you can almost hear that it's trying to get back to normal idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe try spraying starter fluid around the throttle body/intake area while the motor is warmed up and running. A change in idle while spraying can help you pin point a vacuum leak

After I bought my used raptor, the 1st thing I did was search on what the specs were and how to check or test them on all the different sensors that effected the fuel trims. My coolant temp sensor and intake temp sensor were both out of spec so I replaced them. The tps was barely within the spec voltage so I figured out how to adjust it. I didn't have an idling issue though, the engine ran extra rich.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts