Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it about 2 months ago. He loves the little bike and it seems to be a pretty good bike. We've been to Little Sahara and it ran great, no problems at all. He climbed every dune there and we had a great time.

I've been thinking of putting a standard bore kit in it. I was thinking of 10.5:1 because I don't want to have to run race gas with the 12:1. Most likely a stage 2 hotcam, port job, and either bore the carb or go with a little bigger carb. Right now we've put a slip-on, powerflo filter with no airbox lid, and a 14th front sprocket. What kind of power increase should I get by adding the piston, cams, port, and carb?? I know all motors and dynos are different so I'm just looking for a ballpark numer gain.

Here's the pics and link to the videos.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee89/fastfatboy/

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think that is cool, I cant wait until my son can ride one that size!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just a little advice.... With that slip-on pipe you have, you really arent making anymore power than the stock pipe. I'd suggest a full aftermarket exhaust. I also assume you jetted your carb with all you currently have. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depends on the elevation, I think stock 250 Raptors have about 17hp. With afterarket filter (lid removed), pipe, exhaust and jet correctly you may see 20hp. 10.5:1 piston and stage II CAM might get you 22hp. With all of these mods on my quad I was runing a 140 main jet because I am at higher elevation. Most guys at lower elevation are running 150 and even 160 main jets. They may also have PNP, valve upgrades and 263cc kits. With these extra modifications you might get 25hp out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a little advice.... With that slip-on pipe you have, you really arent making anymore power than the stock pipe. I'd suggest a full aftermarket exhaust. I also assume you jetted your carb with all you currently have. :thumbsup:
Yes I jetted it and it's making more power with the slip-on than it did with the stock pipe, there is no question about it. Yes the headpipe is still long and small but that's fine with the current setup, it'll help keep the torque up an such a little motor. However the can flows alot more than the stocker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on the elevation, I think stock 250 Raptors have about 17hp. With afterarket filter (lid removed), pipe, exhaust and jet correctly you may see 20hp. 10.5:1 piston and stage II CAM might get you 22hp. With all of these mods on my quad I was runing a 140 main jet because I am at higher elevation. Most guys at lower elevation are running 150 and even 160 main jets. They may also have PNP, valve upgrades and 263cc kits. With these extra modifications you might get 25hp out of it.

Right now it's got a powerflo filter - k&nstyle, no lid, and a dg slipon. I put a 170 dynojet main in it which flows right between a 157.5 and 160 mikuini. The little thing runs decent, for what it is.

I figured I could see atleast mid 20s hopefully upper 20s with a 10.5:1 piston, stage 2 cam, port job, and larger or bored carb. When it all gets done I guess we'll just have to see. If I can't get atleast mid 20s meaning 24-26 with stock valves then I'll just put a 10 or 15 shot off boss noss on it for him. The only racing we do is drag racing so it dosen't have to be making max power all the time. I just want him to have a fun little dune/dragger. I guess we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that is cool, I cant wait until my son can ride one that size!!!

I don't know how old he is but that time will be here before ya know it. My oldest is 16 and it seems like just a year or 2 ago when she was playing 10 and under softball. Now she has her own truck and is playing on a College showcase team, trying to show off for college coaches. She'll be a junior next year, just 2 years and she'll be college bound. Geeze I'm getting old. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts