Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question is, do I have to break her in for 10 hours? If so, what speed and how do people usually do that without being tempted to floor it? How boring this is going to be. Any tips would be appreciated..

thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
They tell you too, but believe me, I think i lasted about 15-20 minutes before I wanted to know what this beast does. I beat the living hell out of mine and it takes it. Besides there is always warrenty. I dont know who has lasted 10 hours with out beating on it. Good choice. You wont be dissapointed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
While you will hear some say to ride her her like you intend to later on.... I have always found that a kinder, gentler riding style while in her virgin days will give you a better ride as she ages. You will want to vary your speed.... sometimes riding fast, but never for too long and sometimes riding her slow and deliberate. Just knowing that you are breaking in your virgin correctly should get rid of any feelings of boredom you are worried about. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
go easy but not to easy u can give it full trottle but just for a sec , u should vary ur rpm range, but be sure to change ur oil in 10 hours get that break-in oil out and then i would still change it every 10 hrs for the first few more 10 hours to get all those bearing shavings out, but take it easy at first so ur rings will get set.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't pin your throttle for more than a couple of seconds, ride it hard and let it cool off. Repeat that process and you should be good to go. I don't think anyone can resist letting her rip for the first ten hours. 8)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ride it hard and put it away wet,just got 2 tanks through and changing oil tomorrow, them wide open again,it if was meant to be ridden like a old lady it would have a limiter on it. but it takes alot to resist that kind of pull,kinda pulls like my zx-12.

·
Registered
148 Posts
just try to vary(SP) the throttle position and just ride...def do hold on rev limiter

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Answering this question is like solving the great Miller debate: less filling; tastes great. Both philosophies are considered "best" and both are common practice.

One thing I've found most mechanics agree on as "key" is to vary the RPM range.

I limited myself to trail riding for the first five hours so I'd be lest apt to open it up. Then I gave 'er hell.

She just passed her 20 hour inspection with flying colors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would recomend to change rpms often and to take the rpm range to its peak for a second and let the engine brake the quad. once the engine stops smoking the rings are sealed give it hell make sure you warm the quad up and let it cool all the way down often on the break in

·
Registered
18 Posts
cyprusrappy said:
question is, do I have to break her in for 10 hours? If so, what speed and how do people usually do that without being tempted to floor it? How boring this is going to be. Any tips would be appreciated..

thanks
Break it in like your going to use it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The manual actually states 20 hrs for total break-in. I probably have about 10 on mine now. For peace of mind Im going to go the other 10 before I push her to the max. Does anyone know if my front suspension will soften up over time? It seems kinda hard to me... I know I can adjust it (I have a GYTR so I have the YFZ450 style shocks).. but do the shocks typically soften up on their own?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On break-in...I would take it easy but do at least two brief 3/4 throttle runs through all gears to get the rings to seat better. But do not bang on the rev limiter. After 6 or 7 hours I would and did just run it like normal. CHANGE THE OIL after 8 hours or so and again at 15.

Shocks do break-in and soften up a bit after a few hours. They need to be bounced through their stroke a few times. After 10 hours your shocks should be run it nicely. You didn't mention your body weight but if you are below 140 you may want to back off your compression a bit. Take it a little at a time though. Make sure the dealer didn't over pressurize your tires before you start fooling with suspension though. They do that sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts