Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO DOES ANYONE HERE USE A GPS WHILE RIDING ON TRAILS ? AND IF SO WHAT MOUNTS DO YOU HAVE??? :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Trust me, the Ram mount will secure the GPS... They were originally developed to hold electronics in private aircraft - even small laptops. I have one on my KTM dirt bike, and I do not have any issues with movement. And I do not have the clamp set very tight - I leave it tight enough to keep stable, but loose enough to move during a crash to minimize damage to the GPS.

Plus with the modular set up, you can mount different ball mounts to all of your toys and just move the clamp and cradle around with the GPS. I used a simple ear style mount to the handlebar clamp on the KTM, the street bike has different ear, and then I have a suction cup style to stick to the windishield of the cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alvaro3jr said:
anybody try the rino series of gps/radios from garmin?
well the other day i decided to break down and pick up a rino530 alot expensive but has alot of cool features and in color woot .so far its not that bad just have to read more from the manual . but overall its sweet :metal: :woot: :wootwoot:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just use my garmin etrex. Under 100 dollars and always gets me back to camp even after i get lost in the desert. I had the RIS holder but I had to secure it with zip ties to make sure it didnt fall out. Looking for a better mount now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey RaptorFlash go to the Garmin webpage and order the bicycle handlebar mount for your etrex. Works great been using mine for years :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
mws said:
Trust me, the Ram mount will secure the GPS... They were originally developed to hold electronics in private aircraft - even small laptops. I have one on my KTM dirt bike, and I do not have any issues with movement. And I do not have the clamp set very tight - I leave it tight enough to keep stable, but loose enough to move during a crash to minimize damage to the GPS.

Plus with the modular set up, you can mount different ball mounts to all of your toys and just move the clamp and cradle around with the GPS. I used a simple ear style mount to the handlebar clamp on the KTM, the street bike has different ear, and then I have a suction cup style to stick to the windishield of the cars.
What I'm saying is, I don't understand how it will all hold together. To me, that ball looks like a trailer hitch.

Erik

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question, but the Ram is a 3 part system...

You select a GPS holder to fit your GPS. The holder has a ball on the back.
Then select a mount to fit your application. It will also have a ball on it.
Then select a clamp, which goes between the balls. They have many lengths.

Or you can buy a pre-defined kit that has all three components.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ATVhound said:
Hey RaptorFlash go to the Garmin webpage and order the bicycle handlebar mount for your etrex. Works great been using mine for years :thumbsup:
I just got it and it works great! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
206 Posts
raptorflash said:
ATVhound said:
I just got it and it works great! Thanks for the info.
:beer: Glad I could help

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
at first when you guys were talking GPS's i thought you were going a little overbord with mods....but now after i went to glamis over thanksgiving and did some night riding...this is definitly something i am going to invest in, I now think this is the coolest,life saving mod you can get. i would like this and headset walkie talkies for all my group, things sure would be smooth with the 2 combined...but this alone is such a great investment, glad to hear all the info on mounts and models
....thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Garmin iQue 3600 - mounted in front shirt or jacket pocket. ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
As soon as the ZX12R gets parked for the season this Garmin w/Ram Mount will go on the quad...Basically this is just a trip computer for me, as the Ninja's speedo is off a little bit... :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rapt7ooR said:
What I'm saying is, I don't understand how it will all hold together. To me, that ball looks like a trailer hitch.

Erik
The ball mounts work great. I have Ram mounting parts for my Jeep and dirtbikes. The ball is very secure, and absorbs vibration as well. Ram recommends that you position the mounting arm perpendicular to the direction of piston travel to reduce vibration to the device you are using. This sometimes puts the ball at the end of a L-shaped setup, and it still holds very securely.

Plus, they are easy-on, easy-off, so running into a restaurant, etc., you can just grab your GPS and run in.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I HAVE A GARMIN ETREX LEGEND AND BOUGHT A BIKE HANDLEBAR MOUNT FROM SPORT CHALET, BOTH HAVE WORKED GREAT FOR 4 YEARS NOW

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got my bar mount in today for my etrex legend. ordered it from backcountry.com for around $14.00 only took 3 days to get it. i attempted to post some pics but I keep getting a message that the upload folder is full

1 - 20 of 28 Posts