Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the first go around did not turn out to well...air bubbles,adhisive loosing its grip.So i bought the kit again and im going to try it over. I used a hair dryer,cleaned the plastics real well....biggest problem was the gas tank trying to get everything to line up without the graphic bunching up. Any tips for me?Certain temp outside to install?

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Get a soap and water solution in a water bottle and a squeegee, Clean the area really well with alcohol and give it a couple sprays with the soapy water. Apply the graphics and align them how you want them. With the soapy water the graphics will slide easily over the plastics to make it easier. With the squeegee get all the bubbles out. After you have it where you want it hit it with a hair dryer to dry. Let it sit for 24 hours after doing this.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Also the ideal day to do this would be a 70 degree (Or in that range) day. Not to hot, not to cold. The colder it is outside the longer it will take your graphics to cure, The hotter it is the shorter time you have to make all your adjustments.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Don't install outside in the cold, they won't adhere properly. Inside, with a hair dryer keeping the plastics/graphics warm as you go along. Go slow, and line up corners to get the right fit.

The soapy water trick is nice too. Some kits say NOT to use this method, but seems to work well for a lot of people. I haven't done it that way, but I have had to peel back and re-apply parts of the graphic during install for bad alignment.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
The warmer the better a hair dryer , soapy water in a spray bottle , felt squeegee and a good bit of a patience help. It can be done in the 60's but its a hell of alot better doing it when it 80+ out. Maybe heat your garage-work aera with a salamander/ heat source.

Good install vid to watch http://www.invisionpowersports.com/v...tallation.html

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
I had best results by peeling just an inch or two of the backing off, folding it at 45 degrees and arranging the graphic, then sticking down just that inch (using the water too)... then slowly pulling the backing away at the 45 degree angle while slowly applying the new sticky part that is free... pushing bubbles towards the backing. Worked great first time I tried it. It's been on for 4 years with almost no bubbles and still looks great.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
+1 definitley do it that way, don't pull the full graphic off the backing at once. Excellent call. Makes rearranging them much easier.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah ill be waiting awhile than it does not get in the 70s until June usually.The first time i think it was in the low 60s-high 50s in September.Thanks for the tips guys

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
There will always be a few bubbles... just make a little slit in the middle of them with a sharp razor blade or utility knife and pinch the air out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts