Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a grinding/winding noise from what I believe is the clutch. When I pull the clutch all the way in it stops. But as soon as I start to let off to go in motion, it starts the winding sound again. It does not do it while in neutral. Also when I pull the clutch in and try to push it, it doesn't push smooth like if it were in neutral. I did a total rebuild with a vito's 721 stroker kit. The clutch is a vito's high performance clutch. I tore everything back down to make sure i didn't miss something. No shavings or wear marks in the tranny, or any of the metal gears. The only thing I noticed was a burnt clutch plate smell in the oil. I put everything back together and it is still doing it. All timing marks were aligned including the clutch basket and clutch boss. Could it be the cushion plate that sits after the first friction plate? and on the clutch arm timing marks, I have it set so that it rests with the marks in line. And when I squeeze in the clutch, the arm has a few mm of play before I feel it grab to disengage the clutch.

·
Master of the Electron
14,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

IMO, can't be anything IN the clutch - those parts only see relative motion when the lever is pulled! I'd be looking downstream from the clutch mechanism.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,178 Posts
IDK about the 660, but the 700 has a clutch release bearing that will loose it's lube. Either soak it in oil during clutch service, or, tip the bike up on it's side, clutch down, and prop it there for 20 min.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts