Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help please. I would like to add a GYTR oval performance muffler and a GYTR high flow filter. Can I make these mods without having to make any further adjustments? Will the fuel injection automatically adjust??? Any advice would be appreciated. I would like more power, but not comfortable with messing with a controller and blowing up my engine!!! Also, is the slip on easy to install? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you're going to do those mods...you need a computer...PC III. They aren't too hard to install, and if you do a search, someone actually did a step by step installation with pics too.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its your quad bro, you can do whatever you want to it. But its highly recommended to get the PC III. I understand that you don't want to spend awhole lot of money, but its either that, or risk running your motor too lean and screwing it up. And then paying even more money to get the motor fixed. Good luck with your decision... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey KMANN. Something to think about... I just got my 700R a week ago... The first thing I have bought for it is a PCIII. The main reason? Go to powercommander.com... download the software... then download the zero map, and the map for 'stock exhaust, stock intake, airbox lid installed'... then in the software under tools, you can 'compare maps'. Just look at how much more fuel they give the thing in stock form... that right there tells you that these things are SUPER lean from the factory, and any improvement in airflow will only make this worse... you don't want to burn a hole in your piston and then have Yamaha deny warranty coverage because of your mods.

I think one of the reasons for this is California emissions laws... unlike motorcycles, there isn't a '49 state model' and a 'California model'... all of them are the same... so they have to make them very very lean.

As the previous post said... do what you want, it's YOURS... but whats another $260-$300 for something awesome (PCIII) added to what you have already invested?

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
You really should get the PCIII. I have the gytr pro full exhaust with the pro design intake and k&n. And the PCIII really has been a big help. My quad was making a popping sound when I let off the gas and I just loaded the map for my set up and it took car of that. It wasn't too hard to instal but here is a link for a topic that a guy put up step by step pictures on how to put it in. But if you need any help just contact me and I'll help you out. Erich

http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=3292.0

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
thanks for the link, socal. That was the installation thread i was referring to, just couldn't remember where it was. Thanks again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you absolutely do not want to mess with a controller, You could do the mods you want all at once and then have your dealer adjust the A/F through the ECU. I would still recommend you get a PCIII, they are easy to install and you can change maps when needed. Sounds scary at first but is easy once you get started 8)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've been told by the mechanics at my local dealership that any air/fuel adjustments they make through the ECU will be erased if the battery cable gets disconnected.
And I've had the cable jiggle itself loose a couple of times so I'm holding off until I get a computer to make my mods.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'm not trying to argue but i used to have a 2004 FI streetbike and i had a slipon on it with no PC for about a year and i never had a problem.I mean can there be that much difference between a FI streetbike and FI quad? i had many friends that did the same and they never had a problem either.I did get a pc3 later on and it made everything alot smoother(idle,and shifting) Can there be that much difference?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I believe that yes, there can... see my above post. With street bikes, there is a 49 state version and a california version... the 49 state bikes aren't nearly as lean from the factory as these quads... and the california bikes even run milder cams to pass emissions (thus making a slip-on less effective anyway). I'm new to this forum but even I have seen that this subject has been beaten to death... it's your quad, your money, your decision... I just don't see the logic though in spending $7000 on a quad, and then $300+ on an exhaust, and not wanting to do it right with an injection mod to support the changes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Exactly what I was going to post! :thumbsup: If you don't believe it, then mod away! :thumbsup:

JJ46 said:
I believe that yes, there can... see my above post. With street bikes, there is a 49 state version and a california version... the 49 state bikes aren't nearly as lean from the factory as these quads... and the california bikes even run milder cams to pass emissions (thus making a slip-on less effective anyway). I'm new to this forum but even I have seen that this subject has been beaten to death... it's your quad, your money, your decision... I just don't see the logic though in spending $7000 on a quad, and then $300+ on an exhaust, and not wanting to do it right with an injection mod to support the changes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought if you only do the slip on and no intake then you don't increase the flow. In other words, inside the stock filter there is what looks like a spark arrestor which if not removed you won't be able to increase the airflow or power. I have the gytr slip on and both end caps that I switch back and forth depending where I ride. It feels faster but I think the louder bark is what is making it sound faster especially with the race cap on! I won't do a filter mod until I put the programmer on. The dealers say if you unplug the battery for 20 minutes or so after you do mods and run it again the compurter will make the adjustments by itself, yeah right!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts