Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around here to see what people have to say about the use of the gytr header and the fuel requirements. I have read on some sites that the header can increase up to 20% with the use of the slip-on but there is no mention of needing a fuel controller. My bike is stock except for a K&N filter. I am gonna drop by the yamaha dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say about the header but thought I would ask around so see if a fuel controller is needed with the use of a header and a filter. I'm still gonna do a little searching to see if there is any gains with just the header without a slip-on. Maybe its not worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Any time you change the flow in or out is the time for a controller. I wouldn't just do a header. The stock silencer is very restrictive. I would do a slip on first. I sold my gytr full exhaust for 250, I wouldnt buy from the dealership. You could get a better deal on here or from one of the sponsors.

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've always been skeptical about the fuel controllers. Without a wideband how would you begin to adjust a fuel controller? I don't think I'd feel very comfortable just playing with a controller that really doesn't tell you anything about the a/f ratio. I'd rather leave the bike alone or else hook a wideband up to it to ensure that the adjustments are proper. Cause I sure wouldn't tune my 300whp 4 cylinder car without a wideband and assume the software is doing the right thing. Maybe I'll just leave the bike alone, was just curious to know how much if any difference would be noted by a header. Didn't think it would give huge gains as the bike is only going to flow as much as the smaller part of the exhaust but thought there may have been a small gain with the option of adding on the rest of the exhaust at a later date.

As for getting a better deal on here I doubt it since I live in Canada and a lot of times by the time I receive stuff its not all that cheaper than buying here in Canada (gotta love customs and the crazy cost of shipping these days).

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can have your power commander pre mapped for what ever exhaust you want to run. I would highly suggest getting some sort of fuel controller even a cheaper on if you have to before running a full exhaust.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If your wanting a wideband then go with the power commander 5 with auto tune. You weld in a bung and install the o2 sensor. You still have to have a base map loaded into the power commander. It reads the o2 sensor and fine tunes from the base map. Other than that you would need to have it dyno tuned.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
The GYTR header is junk compared to just about any other single exhaust header out there. I used the GYTR stuff back in the day but that was back when there wasnt much out yet for the 700. Its not 2006 anymore, its 2011. Now the muffler is another story, I still like it for a single.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts