Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed all GYTR skids on my 700 and realized that I have to remove this every time I changed the oil, or am I wrong :3question:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Shouldn't have to there is a drain hole, but then again I have not changed my oil yet. I am doing it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pile0g00 said:
Shouldn't have to there is a drain hole, but then again I have not changed my oil yet. I am doing it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.
Oh theres a drain hole, but its nowhere near the bottom of the oil tank, however there is one under the crankcase bolt to drain that

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ha....unfortunately you will have to take it off. They put the drain hole in the wrong spot :crazy: :unsure:
If you look on the under side there wil be a nice hole on the opposite side of the mounting screws meant for draining the oil. Dont know who's mess up that was, but it was big!
I am just going to buy a hole saw....or something, and make my own hole. Not sure if a hole saw will go threw aluminum like that though?
I did figure out a way to get it all properly aligned though. under the oil tank there is a hole threw the frame where you are suppose to come up from the bottom to unscrew the plug. take a crayon or marker and make a mark on the skid. Then take the skid off and make a pilot hole. then take a hole saw or a BIG drill bit and make your hole.
Pain in the butt, I know. You think you pay $110 for a sheet of aluminum, they could put the oil drain hole in the right place.....but no!
Otherwise a nice skid plate! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
StuntPunkJames said:
pile0g00 said:
Oh theres a drain hole, but its nowhere near the bottom of the oil tank, however there is one under the crankcase bolt to drain that

yep......exactly!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hmmm SOB, seems like things are never as easy as they should be. Oh well I am getting used to it ::) . BTW most hole saws have a pilot bit that come threw the middle, one less step anyway.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
oh, ok. I didnt know. I dont have any hole saws....I was just thinking of a way to do it!
Groovy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are ALL of the GYT-R engine skid plates this way or are some okay? Sounds like some say they are in the right spot, but most say they are not :confused: I just ordered the GYT-R plates but don't have them here yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All I know is I make a huge mess when I change my oil. I ride in alot of water so I change it quite often and if you dont take it off it gets every where. I cant believe they could screw up that bad. We should all get the hole cut for free.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I haven't checked mine, but really is it that big of deal? It takes what, 1-2 minutes to pull it off? I would actually rather have it off than get oil on the skid and let it attract dirt, sand and whatever else.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
GYTR is not the only one my Pro-Armor chassis skid didnt even have a hole. I just closed one eye and ligned up the drill and made a hole lol :lol:

Works perfect now :thumbsup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I actually just called Yamaha and told them about this problem, and this particular thread. Don't know if anything will happen because of it, but the lady was very pleasant and happy to get the call.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Actually most dont have holes.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
WTF, I am in the garage right now. I am gonna sit it on it's ass and check this out. If it ain't got any right now by god it will :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
pile0g00 said:
WTF, I am in the garage right now. I am gonna sit it on it's ass and check this out. If it ain't got any right now by god it will :grin_nod:
hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Well that took longer than expected. I had to make sure of what bolt to remove on the oil tank. It turns out there is no hole in the GYTR skid. I can’t believe that with all the MFing holes in that damn thing that they could not have even accidentally put a hole there, heck they were only about 3 inches away on one hole. It is an easy fix though. I will do it when I do my next oil change. I just can’t believe that I did not notice that when I put them on. I did notice the hole for the crank case, guess I just thought it would pull it out of the oil tank, awe who am I kidding I was “as excited as a retard at the chucky cheese.” and did not even pay that close of attention.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pile0g00 said:
“as excited as a retard at the chucky cheese.”

HAHA thats funny shit :lol:

Kinda heated when I noticed that, like Boom said u pay $110+ for this shit u figure it would be in the right spot :unsure:......Guess I'll have to join the rest of ya and make my own hole, dotn really wanna have to take off and put on every time I change my oil :mad:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
that was worth a good laugh........ :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
LMAO!!! I hear you about the excitement! Maybe not as far as the chucky cheese part, those little guys get pretty damn excited! I was so excited that I was going to have all my stuff powder coated, they told me 7 to 14 day wait for them to fiish and I said HELL NO! Went out and slapped everything on my quad. After 10 beers I was lucky to find a bolt hole, let alone a drain hole! LOL

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I drilled the hole in my skid a couple of nights ago. I used booms idea of a crayon. I Broke the crayon to the right length put it through the center of the hole, under the drain bolt, and smashed the tip of it into the skid. I then removed the skid and drilled a hole using a 38mm hole saw. It took me about 10-15 min to have it all done(start to finish), it looks like any of the other holes and lines up perfectly :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts