1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
not positive, my yami dealer said the gytr wa just a blue k&n. :3question:

·
Registered
123 Posts
GYTR is a bit larger than the K&N. I dont think it makes much of a difference though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im Not sure on the dimensions but if you look at the GYTR filter its obvious its bigger, but only because it is specifically shaped for the 700's airbox. Whereas the K&N filter is just one of their zillion different styles of filters that fit the best.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My yami dealer told me the exact same thing.... he said that my GYTR filter is just a blue K&N filter.... i would just check prices and get which one fits you best... if there is a size difference i would go with the bigger one...

Plattner

·
Registered
383 Posts
A lot of the K&N style filters I have seen say K&N on them anyway, just not in the copyrighted logo. From a manufacturing point of view it could be assumed some companies actually use filters produced by K&N for their companies. That isn't uncommon in manufacturing. Its also not uncommon for a company to "farm out" their work to produce in a timely manner or save money. So K&N may not even be making all of their filters. I dont have evidence to back up that K&N practices either of these but like I said it's an idea. If anyone knows or looks into it I wouldnt mind knowing if thats true. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok lets get back to the topic.......which filter is everyone using and which one is actually bigger? obviously the filter shapes are different

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've held both and the GYTR is bigger and shaped different (upside down "D"), but I run a K&N. I've always had them in anything (trucks, cars,PWCs,bikes).I trust em to help efficiency and power (not that I don't trust GYTR).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I like my setup really well.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
the GYTR has that goofy shape incase you want to run with the lid on. NOT that the prodesign wont work with the lid on, but there is less surface on top with the prodesign k&N filter.

Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. WHen I went to buy an intake I looked at the gytr and didnt like the blue dye, as I have experienced the dye getting all over everything in past machines when they get a little wet. AND, I didnt have a hook up at yamaha and if your paying full price at the dealer, the GYTR intake is more expensive.

I went with the prodesign...got it off ebay NEW for $99.95 shipped. COmes with a pre-filter too.

I also looked at the trinity kit, but it was reaaaally expensive. Suppose to be a good intake too though, from what I hear. I dont see much difference in it, vs the prodesign though which is $50 less!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not sure how long the gytr filter is but the k&n leaves room to put your dobeck in the box so it stays out of the dirt and moisture.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only reasons i can think of going with the GYTR are that its "made" for the 700 (not that it matters its just that that matters to some people), its bigger but not by much and IMO the performance increase would be too small to pay the extra $ for, and that it has more surface area on top. But ofcourse that doesnt really matter unless youre running with your lid off. The Pro Design Kit would be the better way to go since performance-wise they are the same with the lid off and its less expensive at the same time ($99). So, unless you are riding in wet environments where you will have the lid on, Id go for Pro Design.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
wish someone had all three...the trinity, gytr and the prodesign intakes. I want to see the differences up close. I say "all three" as these are the only intakes worth a $hit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
True boom. I know if I had seen all three before I bought mine it would have altered my decision. I dont know about anyone else but didnt realize how big those really were until I got mine in the mail.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
raptair700r said:
True boom. I know if I had seen all three before I bought mine it would have altered my decision. I dont know about anyone else but didnt realize how big those really were until I got mine in the mail.

Yeah...that prodesign is a BIG intake. Big plate and a very large k&N. It looks just like the trinity intake....about the same size filter...and possibly the exact same plate.
The gytr is a little different....I believe the plate is the same width though as the trinity and the prodesign....just different shape filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.