Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in. I have been a hard core banshee guy for the last 11 years with my 93 I ran hare scrambles with. Suddenly all my buddies are getting back into riding and getting new 450's and 400's. Still no problem for the old steed but I was sorta feeling left out. Next thing I know, my wife takes me to the local yamaha dealer and has negotiated a sweet deal on a brand new, leftover 06 700r and we brought it home. Haven't had much time on it yet (only bout 10 minutes actually) but it definitely shows potential. Soon as I sell my banshee, prolly gonna start playin with it. Shoot, ordered a twist throttle first day for it. I am really liking the whole EFI thing since my business I run on the side is building high end forced induction street cars with custom EFI tuning I do on my chassis dyno.

Anyway, don't mean to ramble, just wanted to say hi. You guys have some good info on here I have seen so far. Know anyone that wants a banshee? lol

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
welcome buddy!, congrats on the rappy, what color did you get? hahaha post some pics of your new birth soon!, and take some of the banshee before ya sell it.
take care

·
Registered
123 Posts
welcome to the forum. and there will never be a replacement for a banshee but you gotta love how comfortable the 700 is over the banshee. you wont regret the decision. and if all your buddies have 450s you wont have to worry about losing to them. again welcome

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,
She picked it out, standard blue 06.
Got it as a leftover so they knocked $1200 off. I really wanted the white GYTR but coudn't find one anywhere around here. You are right, the banshee is still probably the best quad ever. I mean really, 19 years? But man that 700 has some serious bottom end. Just trying to get a feel for what mods there are for this thing and the gains associated. Still kinda hard to get used to the whole "programming" for mods thing with a quad. Shouldn't be too big a stretch though, if I can do it on a 1500 hp street car, I can surely do it on this thing............lol, famous last words.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Welcome to the site man and enjoy the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Welcome to the number one Raptor forum!! Your right you should have got the GYTR, becasue we all know the white ones are faster. :grin_nod: Keep the banshee and make it an insane drag bike! :wootwoot:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I would love to keep the banshee but being a little older now and having kids that wanna ride, I have found that i can go riding A LOT more if they have quads. Hence my add selling the banshee in the classified here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome Racin1 To the site, Congrats on the New Raptor
Sounds like you were a 2-stroke Holdout..
Im hoping they build the 500 4-stroke Banshee, I cant see them droping the Banshee name.
I have both Quads I prefer the Raptor, But Nothin like thee sound of a wide open 2-Stroke.

Robe

·
Registered
973 Posts
Have fun with the rappy. I love mine for general riding. I made my Banshee just for hauling ass in the dunes so thats why I got my rappy for everything else. Going to be a great trail bike, and cruiser. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your right you should have got the GYTR, becasue we all know the white ones are faster.
Yep LOL. Congrats on your new toy

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually got to spend about 20 minutes putting around on the edge of a field on a 1/4 mile grassy strip. Man this thing has some torque (after riding a banshee for 10 years, so does anything though). Was kinda busy teachin my son to ride his new KTM 65 MX I bought him. Do you guys normally see your head pipes glowing bright red and when you try to start it dead cold you have to give it throttle to get er to hit? Seems odd to me. Still really liking it though

·
Registered
331 Posts
The glowing headpipes are normal. The say the Raptor comes mapped a little on the lean side from factory. (time for a powercommander.. ha ha
not sure about the cold starts... I live in Miami.
Welcome to the forum.... and congrats... Wait till you uncork the potential in that motor!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if i am understanding what I am reading everywhere correctly, I really need a commander or something to do anything like a filter or even a slip-on?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah because its the same as jetting your banshee's carbs if you didnt your quad would run lean :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I build fuel injected cars and do computer tuning on high horsepower street cars. Just didn't know what the learning limits are for the computer. So basically, a good adjustable computer system should really be the first step. What is the difference between the dobeck tfi controller and the optimizer?

·
Registered
517 Posts
You have more options with the Dynojet PC than the others. They are all inline vs a stand alone or flashed unit. I do not think there is much if any adaptive learning with the pcm on these.

If you looking for a full custom programmable unit the only one I know of to date is the radrap, I think it is off the principles of the motec units.

No one here is using one yet (that I know of)

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
racin1 said:
actually got to spend about 20 minutes putting around on the edge of a field on a 1/4 mile grassy strip. Man this thing has some torque (after riding a banshee for 10 years, so does anything though). Was kinda busy teachin my son to ride his new KTM 65 MX I bought him. Do you guys normally see your head pipes glowing bright red and when you try to start it dead cold you have to give it throttle to get er to hit? Seems odd to me. Still really liking it though
Ummm, I'm from Minnesota, and I can say, I've not had a problem w/ it starting yet, only real problem I had was when it was -20f out, and I started it, It cranked hard, but it started and I let it warm up for just over 5 mins, so I could feel the head was warm to the touch.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personnaly think it is a lean condition problem. Seems a little too cold blooded. I like the looks of the DynoJet piece (especially since I used to own a dynojet dyno........). I ordered a twist throttle and a 15t front sprocket. Wanna see how this thing does on trails before I get too carried away though. I do beleive the tuner will be the first mod though. Found out I can get parts wholesale for these through my shop (www.nothingbutperformance.net) so I will at least not be paying full price for this stuff. You guys ever need anything, the atv stuff is not my specialty but I can get whatever you want. Found a great line on Maxxis Razor 2 tires through one of my wholesale suppliers. Bout $110 a pair. The stock rears seem pretty good so far so I will likely just wear on them for a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldnt go with the 15t on a stock bike. Even with 3 mods its neglegible IMO. Im waiting until 11.1, port, and cam before going to 15t.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts