Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some new handle bars and grips. The grips came with "safety wire". Does anyone know what it's used for? I haven't been able to find any info about it.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
It's used to keep grips securely on the handlebars. Often times grips can slip on the bars and spin or even slide right off so safety wire is used to help fasten them down.

It's been used for a very, very long time however somewhat recently "grip glue" has become quite popular.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use both the wire and the glue... The wire is a must in my book.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I use the wire, just be sure to leave the twisted end long enough to bend it back into the grip, about 1/4" tp 3/8". I also put the twisted end toward the bottom of the grip and point the end away from my finger tips. This way if your hand gets pulled from the grip your less likely to snag your gloove or flesh on the tail of wire.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i dont use either. i use the ODI grips and they simply clamp on inside and out.... look into them.... great set of grips and soft as well to avoid blisters through gloves.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does the middle of the ODI grips move though???

·
Registered
455 Posts
i never had a problem with any grip i have ever used. to get the grip on i spray some lube to get it on and when it dries it makes somewhat of a seal and they stay snug for ever, like i said never had a prob! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
827 Posts
the girp actually has a hard plastic / composite center that the clamps attach to and it never moves... ever.... set it and forget it.... ;) the cool thing is with the center being like it is it makes the grip a bit biger in GIRTH!!!!!! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Like ajax, I use some spray to lube the grips. Only I use carb cleaner, you have to be quick and get the grips on right. Then when it dries, the grips are "glued" to the bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts