Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a handheld gps for riding in the woods. Do any of you guys have a suggestion on which one I should pick up? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
BUY A GARMIN!!!!! I have a 60csx and its awesome. Garmins maps are better then Magellans. I have a Ram mount in my truck and on my quad so I can switch when ever.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most of the guys I hunt with use the Garmin Etrex series. There are a few different models with different features ranging from $100-$300. About the size of a cell phone, simple durable and reliable.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
rabara9 said:
Most of the guys I hunt with use the Garmin Etrex series. There are a few different models with different features ranging from $100-$300. About the size of a cell phone, simple durable and reliable.
+1

Thats what I use on my Ninja and will be switching it over for quad rides..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will go with the Etrex because it seems a little more affordable. I don't want to spend $400 dollars I already have a good nav unit for my truck. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you decide on the etrex get the bicycle mount from the Garmin webpage. I have had good luck with mine for a couple of years now :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which eTrex did you buy?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I did a 2nd hand Garmin Rino 120. It is a GPS and FRS radio in one. I'm using the Garmin bicycle mount.

Whatever you get I'd look into powering it from the Raptor's electrical system. I just bought the cable for mine and need to wire it up.

Shawn

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am looking for a garmin also... I am thinking about just gettine one, instead of the trailtech Vapor... Bcs i just want to be able to tell my speed somtimes...
- - then i also want to be able to take it in my pickup with me.... so i would like one that does good directions... like turn by turn... Which one do you all think i should get...?

Plattner

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a magellan. It has lots of features. Either Garmin or Magellan will be great, both work very well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Meridan Gold Series. Sorry, i forgot to put that in there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
garmin etrex vista..... - - Techquadshop - Can you get me a deal on one ? ha ha ha ....
- - Does this one do TURN BY TURN ? ? and can you just punch in a destination address and it give you the directions ? ? I am not inly wanting one to mount on the atv for mph.... but also to take with me on business trips, in rental cars and stuff..
so i would like to have one, that i can punch in an address, and it give me the directions.... does this etrex vista do that ? ?

thanks for all the help..
Plattner

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
plattner said:
I am looking for a garmin also... I am thinking about just gettine one, instead of the trailtech Vapor... Bcs i just want to be able to tell my speed somtimes...
- - then i also want to be able to take it in my pickup with me.... so i would like one that does good directions... like turn by turn... Which one do you all think i should get...?

Plattner
The problem you'll find... the nice turn by turn GPSs aren't as nice off-road.

On-Road I don't think it gets any better than Garmin's nüvi line. I have the first model (350). They have bigger screens and cool stuff like Bluetooth integration now in the newer models. Anyone could operate this thing in their sleep. It's touch screen and intuitive. It reads the street names to you when announcing turns. It has a high-end Sirf GPS radio. It's basicly 'the shit' as GPS goes.

Now.. This same GPS would suck on the raptor. Why? No breadcrumb trail or 'track' as Garmin calls it. No bearing to a waypoint. No weatherproofing, and finally... the damn thing cost me $800 and it would get destroyed in a roll-over.

My Rino 120 on the other hand is weatherproof and designed off off-highway / trail use. Even new it cost 1/4 what the nüvi cost me. I don't care if it gets dirty... it's supposed to. It takes longer to get it's initial fix but it'll do it in the time it takes the Rappy to warm up.

If you're looking for a GPS only unit the eTrex line is supposed to be good. The main reason we went for the Rino units is that when you have a couple on the same radio frequency you can track the position of others in your party on your screen. It's pretty cool. Having a radio is a nice bonus too.

Shawn

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yea i wasnt planning on anything like the Nuvi.... I was wanting something like the garmin etrex vista...
- - My question is - with the etrex (or extrex vista) can i like enter in an address, and it give me the directions... like highlight the route to take.... ? ?
Shawnz i understand what you are saying abt the off road GPS.... and i am looking for something MAINLY for the off road... but i would like to , like a couple times a year, be able to take it on my vacations with me, and like use it in the rental car... or whatver...just would like to be able to put in an address, and it give me the directions to that addres... - - does the extrex do that ? ?

thanks Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am thinking about the GARMIN "ETREX VISTA C".... this has the color screen.... and if i am correct, IT DOES DO turn by turn directions.... correct me if i am wrong please.... ( ? ? ?) I just want to be able to type in a address and it highlight the route on the screen, and then give me turn by turn directions...will this one do that ?

Plattner

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think some will do it - it just isn't as seamless as it is on the purpose-built units. I know the newer Rinos can give turn by turn directions, but I think you need to load the route before you go - which kind of sucks.

The e-tex line doesn't seem to do turn by turn directions, but the GPSMAP 60 does, and it has the off-highway capabilities as well. Retail is about $250 on it.

I'd try and dig up a review before dropping coin on one but check ebay / craigslist etc - see if you can find a used one.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
plattner said:
I am thinking about the GARMIN "ETREX VISTA C".... this has the color screen.... and if i am correct, IT DOES DO turn by turn directions.... correct me if i am wrong please.... ( ? ? ?) I just want to be able to type in a address and it highlight the route on the screen, and then give me turn by turn directions...will this one do that ?

Plattner
It doesn't show it in the spec but if you compare the GPSMAP 60 and it both say they will do turn by turn directions. Note that the color one does and the greyscale one does not:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compare=compare&compareProduct=163&compareProduct=326&compareProduct=224

Looks like you found a winner :).

Shawn

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've got the older Garmin GPS60CS. . . the new X models have a Memory card reader. . . very nice. . . wish I had one so I could load all the maps I've got.

I wouldn't mount any of the GPS units on the bars. . . the vibration could cause premature failure.

The Garmin was easy to figure out how to use. When I bought it I signed up for the Class at REI. . . by Sunday I had it figured out and cancelled my place in the class.

I usually wrap it up in a hand towel and put it in the fanny pack with the antenna hanging out.

Oh, Glamisdunes has a bunch of GPS Coordinates for different riding areas. . . I've uploaded them to the GPS.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts