Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Raptors out today after a long nap. Just wanted to get them cleaned up a bit and start them and let them warm up. When I got them out of the garage, it started raining a little. Not a down pour. Both had the seats off and got somewhat wet. One started instantly and idled and revved fine. The other didn't want to start for a long while. Didn't hold the starter on for long duration, just short bursts. Finally, it started and seemed fine. Then is started to idle very slowly and then died. Hit the starter and if fired instantly but died just as fast. Did this numerous times. Decided to let it sit while I did some garage cleaning. Went back and it started but died again. Tried a few more times and it finally started and idled like is should. Before it started the start/die stuff, I revved it and is was backfiring a little. It did get fairly warm before it started the problem. Both are set up the same, Monster Duals, Monster Intake and PC3. All else is stock. I am trying to give as much info as I can. Would some water have caused an issue and finally dried up? I am going to try it again after it has cooled off. Looking for any suggestions or thoughts. The fuel was treated with Stabil and SeaFoam when they were put up for winter. I have had excellent results using this combo when storing any gas engine for an extended time. Someone out there have an idea?

Thanks for the help! :beer:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bad gas. Drain tanks and run some injector cleaner with some good gas in it. How long of a nap?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Ya i would do the same thing Grimmy said.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Grimmy and Frenchie! I was wondering if the gas would be an issue. I've heard that the gas made these days will start to degrade after about 3-4 weeks. Been about 3 months since actually being ridden. Have started them but no real load on them. What is the easiest way to drain the tanks on these? Any suggested injector cleaner? I may run a strong mix of SeaFoam through them. Also heard that Techron is very good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I use the Performance Improver from Amsoil but thats because I am a preferred member and get it at cost. The best method to drain the tank is take off the front plastics, disconnect the fuel line, disconnect the electrical connector for the fuel pump, remove the 4 mount bolts for the gas tank, then remove the fuel pump by taking off the 4-5 little screws holding it in. All you would have to do then is just poor the gas into whatever you can find. I would be willing to bet though that if you put it in a spare gas can and then mixed it in with good gas through a regular vehicle it will burn that stuff just fine. It is probably just way to concentrated for the quad to run. Just find whatever injector cleaner you can such as seafoam or whatever and that should get that brown gunk out of the injector, hopefully.

Goodluck! By the way this is how I would go about draining the tank and it is a sure fire way to get all of that mess out plus you can clean the little fuel sponge on your fuel pump too. It isn't that hard and only takes about 20 minutes to get it all taken apart.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
+1000 on what Grimmy said hes right on the money. But sorry to add this but i would just remove the tank and empty it. If its really that bad you will emmidiatly know by the smell, it smells like varnish really strong too. Its maybe a good idea to change the fuel filter while your there. I have had this problem with a gas generator and the gas smelled like varnish the colour was darker also so i removed the carb drained the tank set everything back like it was, put some new gas in it and VOILÀ started up right away smoked a little then was back to the usual burnt gas smell and i just let it work for awhile. Then i put a load on it lol just the pressure washer but still it was under load and its been working fine since then and if ever i let the gas sit all winter long again ill do the same thing. I wouldent do that to my raptor though if i let it sit for a month you can be sure i start it up from time to time and add some good fuel in the middle of winter. I havent had a problem at all while doing this but dont assume anything my way might not be the best way. I still think fuel stabil is the way to go and starting it from time to time isent a bad thing during the winter months mayber addind some new gas and a little fuel stabil could be good also just to rejuvate the mix. I really wasent out with the rappy this winter but around febuary i started it and did donuts and what nots racing up and down the street drifting and after a couple of days i was out of gas so i bought some new gas and filled it up went for a quick drift session and put it back in the shed and forgot about it until all the snow and weather was nice. It started right up without any hikkups and runs great and i also added some new gas. Im sure the stabil is the best way to go but when your a cheap ass like me just starting it from time to time and adding some new gas here and there works for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. Heading out to the garage to get things cleaned up. Your time is very much appreciated! Great forum! Great people!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Great family! On here its always the same you will get an answer for your problem. I love this forum.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to Grimmy and Frenchie! Dumped the fuel tanks on both Raptors. Never knew gas looked like iced tea! Now that I think of it, when the one Rap didn't start well and then died, the exhaust had an awful smell. Should have picked up on that. Oh well, all seems good. Now I am doing the same on the other quads. Wanted to check the filter on the fuel pump but didn't want to mess up anything trying to remove the filter cover. Is there a trick to remove the cover? Looks like a couple of black plastic pins and a zip tie that holds it on. Amazing how combustion engines run with fresh gas!

Thanks again!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
No problem! The old gas can still be used to light camp fires and it wont have any more punch in it so it wont explode as much when lit. Bad gas smells awfull. Worst part about bad gas is it can easily gunk up fuel injectors real bad so its a good idea to get a new gas filter but to remove it i cant really help you on the raptor because i havent changed mine yet. Dont cheap out on the injector cleaner. For carb based application just take em off and soak em in alcool overnight! That might not always be good for the floats so if you can take em off on any carb if possible do it because they are made of foam covered in ruber usually! Ive cleaned and rebuilt tons of carbs this way without a problem. But then if you ask me what kind of main or needle you need dont ask i dont know im just good at rebuilding them and cleaning them. Fuel injector cleaner would also work better with some good fresh gas from the pump high octane or ordinary works fine.

If you need the raptor 700 manual to do the filter just pm me your e-mail and ill send it to you. I do it for everybody who asks in pm (private message) see my sig in bright red! The manual might help on removal of the gas filter!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Already replied and sent out as requested bud!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts