Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my motor back in September, its a cp 686 12:5.1 or 12:1.5 compression what ever CP makes in 686, mild port and polish, stage two hot cam, stage two valve springs, L&A one way so that is fine. It was always hard to start like the valves were too tight, I drove it till I broke it in and set the vales to stock. I have herd from lots that that cam works better on stock valve settings. I also put a extra ground wire on it, and a thicker guage sylinoid to batter wire. Still hard starting. I lostened them off yesterday and it will start better but its too much valve chatter (too lose).

Does anyone have a build like this so I could get some info on some valve settings to try ? I do know I can buy a Grizzly battey to get better cranking amps but I dont have the money for that right now.

Plus my buddie has a 720 build in his rappy and stock battery and his starts better then mine, so I gotta get these valves dialed in.

Hopefully anyone can give me some valve settings to try, thanks chris.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Did you get rid of you decompression release? I heard the stage 2 cam is hard to turn over with out the decompression. I had a stage 3 cam in mine and it would turnover just fine but the valves stay open longer then the stage 2.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the decomp set up.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Sounds like something is not installed right on the decompression part. It should crank just fine like that. Hope someone will chime in that has worked with the decompression will chime in because I never installed mine, I know there is something that can be installed wrong IIRC.....

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The decomp pin may be worn not allowing enough decomp release..........

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the decomp was fine when I installed it. I tightened up the valves tonight and it starts like a charm now. Just hold the buttom for a second and it fires right up. I dont know what thet are set at, but what are the stock specs ? 10 and 8 ?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I thought that the valves were supposed to be set at .006? Maybe I'm wrong on that one though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts