Raptor Forum banner

Hare Scramble Racing

10K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Josh Moore 
#1 ·
well i am new to the forum but not that new to riding, i have decided to look into hare scrambles and would like to hear from guys that are involved in this type of racing. i just want to know the basics how to get involved, what mods. to my quad would be best- stock a arms, long travel, +2 +1 or stock length. i know everyones opinion is different, id just like to hear from some guys with experience. what i am getting ready to order is trinitys exhaust, intake and stage 1 cam, a pcIII and full skids. just let me know what else you guys think i will need.
Chase

#2 ·
i have done a little harescramble racing and would say it is good money spent to widen your quad at least 2 inches front and back. but thats just me

#3 ·
Skids and Tires defenlty 2 of the most important mods for XC, I wouldent widen more than 1" total, things can get real tight out there, ive been XC Racing for 2.5 years now and have seen alot, feel free 2 ask anything on your mind about Woods racing

#4 ·
RaptorRacer45 said:
Skids and Tires defenlty 2 of the most important mods for XC, I wouldent widen more than 1" total, things can get real tight out there, ive been XC Racing for 2.5 years now and have seen alot, feel free 2 ask anything on your mind about Woods racing
Skids and Tires :thumbsup: Either flexx bars or a stabilizer long term. Then suspension. (TCS zero preload rebuilds will bring your center of gravity down.)

#5 ·
I've only run one hare scramble. On a raptor 350. But I can tell you it will beat the hell out of you. Make sure you are hydrated and rested. I would have finished way better had I been in better shape. As it was I finished in front of a number of 450s and bigger quads. I would say skids and tires as far as the quad goes.

#6 ·
This is my third year of running hare scrambles and my first year on the 700 (what a difference vs. the old 660, but that's a topic of its own). The first item I would purchase would be a good set of aftermarket tires as the OEM tires SUCK!!! I have run ITP XCR's and now run the ITP GNCC's. The GNCC's are AWESOME! They have great forward traction but will still allow you to drift the back end when you need to. If you can afford wheels now would be a good time to do this. Hipers are very expensive but are almost as light as the factory wheel and they will never bend. If not, the factory wheels work very well.

The next item which is a must would be a steering stabilizer. Hare Scrambles usually last anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours and this is one item that will help reduce arm pump. I can't tell you how much of an improvement this thing makes. It made such a noticable difference that I would recommend adding this even before suspension.

Next would be suspension. I upgraded to YFZ shocks. Another huge improvement over the stock 700 shocks. These shocks definitly do not have the plush ride quality of the stock shocks but the harder you ride them the better they work. As for extending the front end I would be very cautious. I would recommend long travel but would only extend the front end + 1 (this would be using + .5 arms). Most of the top pros try to keep their quads at or below 46". This is the stock width for the 700. Also, if you upgrade the A arms you will need new brake lines. The stainless steel braided lines are a huge improvement over stock and will allow you to stop faster.

Next item up for improvement would be the skidplates. If you ride hard the OEM skids won't last very long. But, I race with a lot of guys who don't run skid plates and do just fine without them. Also, get a good set of nerf bars. These will save your ass, as will a chest protector.

The last upgrades I would make would be in the motor department. Out of the box the Raptor is more than fast enough to run in the B class. In tight woods races it's not about who has the fastest bike, it's about who has the best set up to last for 2 hours. I would up the power once you have mastered the power the bike already has.

Also, all of the above listed items will not do you any good if you are not in good enough shape to last the length of the race. Start a training plan now. Make sure you are eating right, take a multi vitamin, excercise at least 3 times a week and ride, ride, ride.

Another tip, work on your starts. Getting the hole shot means you don't have to spend time and energy trying to pass the slower riders in front of you. Get the lead and stay there.

Good luck with your upcoming races. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
You can run with a stock bike. I have and took first in B class. and 2nd in B. Dont let anyone tell you that you HAVE to get anything. Just ride your race, dont go balls out like motocross. Yes tires, stabilizer and all that other jazz will help but you are more than capable of doing good with the bike the way it is. All about the rider.

#9 ·
Are you typically allowed to see the coarse before the race? I'd love to try it but have been chicken so far.....

#10 ·
mcnugget22 said:
You can run with a stock bike. I have and took first in B class. and 2nd in B. Dont let anyone tell you that you HAVE to get anything. Just ride your race, dont go balls out like motocross. Yes tires, stabilizer and all that other jazz will help but you are more than capable of doing good with the bike the way it is. All about the rider.

Jordan,
Are there any scrambles close to home this summer?

#12 ·
I ran hare scrambles all last rear on a 700 raptor. Its a beast for holeshots!!! Gear kinda low, gripper seat, hand guards, oury grips(may not be spelled right), full skids, razer 2 tires(my personel fav but as of now i only have them on front, and gbc race rex on rear) Slip on or full system( just cause it sounds great an gives a lil edge). Thats a few of my mods. Now my wants..... suspension, suspension, suspension lol, stabelizer, programmer, bead locks. GET IN SHAPE IF YOUR NOT, AND BUY A CAMEL BACK. Lots of fun, but not a cheap sport by any means. Im stock width but the series i run has really tight trails. GNCC trails on the other hand you could prolly bennifit by going a couple inches wider all the way around. Hope that helps a lil. Have fun out there an be carefull. After all you may see me on the track sometime!! hahahaj jk

#14 ·
I have a 2017 yfz450 special edition quad just bought new. I have completed the break in and checked valves. Am about to install new skid plates as well as the nets around the pegs. I have raced hare scramble races before on a 05 trx450 completely stock and ran up front. So my question is what do other do before racing as in shocks and exhaust?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.