Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i went to a local shop about 2 weeks ago and saw this bad ass 250r sitting on a round tube metal bike stand. it was the perfect heigth to sit in a chair or stand up and work on it. i asked the owner how much it was. $100. i laughed and told him i would build my own out of wood. so, has anyone on here built a bike stand? i have a general idea of how to build it. havent put much thought into it. i was gonna use to 2x4's or 2x6's, cut them to 3' or so, 45 the ends, drill a hole in the middle of 2 of them and attach them with a nut and bolt so they will collapse. put a brace on the front and back of the top and bottom, and to keep them from collapsing when i throw my bike on it i figured id put a ratchet strap on the bottom 2 braces. im not a carpenter or anything, but i know how to swing a hammer. i know someone could improve on this design or probably has. so what do you guys think? if anyone has built their on please post up some pics and help us out. if i do end up building mine i will take pictures and try to do a write up on it for others. thanks guys

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't know of a home built one personally but I would like to do something like this too. Good thread hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i hope so too. im sure someone could improve on my way of building one but thats just the first (and easiest/cheapest) way i thought of. if theres any wood workers or metal fab guys on here feel free to offer your .02. i have no clue what im doing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bump for Carpenters input!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have. Will have to get pics for you later. I biult mine from angle, I would not build it out of wood, I think it would be to heavy (plus I'm terrible with wood). It was about $30 in materials and about 2 Hrs of work. It came out somewhat good and it has lasted for years. But I have also said to myself, next time I would pay the $100.
Either way, if you're building your own, get the angles right.

TORKER.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have a portable one but I have hooks going thru the main beams in the garage. I use straps and can bring it up to any height that I want. It's nice cuz I just leave the straps up there and doesn't take up any extra room in the garage.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know how to weld or i would make it out of metal. wish i did as i would prefer metal. i guess i could still use metal and drill holes instead of welding right? i pm carpenter all the time with stupid question :lol: im trying not to bother him as much

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a portable one but I have hooks going thru the main beams in the garage. I use straps and can bring it up to any height that I want. It's nice cuz I just leave the straps up there and doesn't take up any extra room in the garage.
thats a good idea but doesnt it sway?

·
Registered
238 Posts
thats a good idea but doesnt it sway?
No the weight holds it still. I built it for my street bike which weights around 400lbs. Only reason some of them are crooked is cuz I didn't have a bit long enough to drill all the way thru from the top and had a hard to matching it up from the bottom. So they sit a lil funny up there but don't move.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I built a simple box from 2x10 scrap. It's just tall enough to get the bike off the ground and doesn't take up much room. Works great with a short stool from Harbor Freight.

We use a heavy work table sometimes but I prefer the bike lower to the ground for most jobs.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive thought about using 5 gallon buckets but id really rather it be higher off the ground. i found a hydraulic scissor bike lift on a website. i think it was hawgracing.com maybe? that would be perfect but it was $175, f that. i was also wanting to attach some caster wheels to the legs so i could roll it around. i think ill just go for it. i have some scrap wood laying around. besides the stand crumbling and sending my bike crashin to the ground, whats the worst that could happen :lol:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool. get back with us if you buy it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
harbor freight sells an atv/motorcycle lift that works well, it also has wheels on the bottom so you can roll it around, it's on sale for 90 bucks, check out there website

·
Registered
238 Posts
harbor freight sells an atv/motorcycle lift that works well, it also has wheels on the bottom so you can roll it around, it's on sale for 90 bucks, check out there website
If anyone doesn't already know, do a search on Ebay for "Harborfreight Coupons" IDK if you can use them if you buy from online but you can usually pick up a set of 10 for 20% off for less then $2!! So if you buy one little thing they already paid for there selves.
There's a Harbor Freight right next to the Cycle Gear in Tampa so I get a One Stop Shop!!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i saw the ones at harbor freight but again im not paying that much. i would pay $50 for one but thats it. id rather build my own for like $15 if that. this weekend im gonna throw one together.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts