Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
latley my battery has been very low and i guess it is time for a new one. before i get a new one i wanted to ask if anyone has ever heard some sorth of a soft whistle coming from the battery? i rode my quad last week and every once in a while i would hear what i believed to be the battery make like a soft whistling sound. i also hear this sound when i am jump starting it. may some one tell me if they have expieranced this or if its even the battery making the noise? what needs to be done to fix it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Never....hey man where are you at in houston?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
What voltage and amperage are you charging/jumping the battery with?
What voltage are you getting from the battery?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i contacted a yamaha dealer and tried my best to explain the noise i was hearing and he stated it is pressure being released through a vaulve on the battery. He also stated the acid in the battery may also be boiling. does this individual know what he is talking about?

as for amperage i was using 8 amp to charge/jump. should i be using 2amp?

i am pretty sure someone has heard this noise/sound. any help would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Osiel said:
well i contacted a yamaha dealer and tried my best to explain the noise i was hearing and he stated it is pressure being released through a vaulve on the battery. He also stated the acid in the battery may also be boiling. does this individual know what he is talking about?

as for amperage i was using 8 amp to charge/jump. should i be using 2amp?

i am pretty sure someone has heard this noise/sound. any help would be great. thanks.
I had a new battery do this, seems normal to me, and I'd agree with the dealer. If the battery gets hot durring charging your boiling it. Boil it to long and all the water will be gone and it will never hold a charge then. You'd be better off with the 2amp charge. You might also look into a battey tender, the one I picked up charges at 3/4amp. Just leave it hooked up all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a new battery do this, seems normal to me, and I'd agree with the dealer. If the battery gets hot durring charging your boiling it. Boil it to long and all the water will be gone and it will never hold a charge then. You'd be better off with the 2amp charge. You might also look into a battey tender, the one I picked up charges at 3/4amp. Just leave it hooked up all the time.
[/quote]

what do you mean you had a new battery do this to you? are you talking about the whistling noise?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where can i get a replacement battery? do i need to go to yamaha or can i use some other battery from like walmart. if i could get a battery from walmart what kind can i get since they don't have one for the raptor 660. if i remember correctly i think i read the grizzle 660 battery is the same as the raptor 660. is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Osiel said:
where can i get a replacement battery? do i need to go to yamaha or can i use some other battery from like walmart. if i could get a battery from walmart what kind can i get since they don't have one for the raptor 660. if i remember correctly i think i read the grizzle 660 battery is the same as the raptor 660. is that correct?
No they are not the same battery but a grizzly battery will work. If you buy aftermarket get an AGM gel battery. Walmart's batteries are fairly good, you can also get AGM batteries at most auto parts stores. You're going to use a powersports battery and every store should have a book or chart for you to look up your bike's required battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i looked through the book at walmart did not see a battery for the raptor 660. maybe i'll try autozone tomorrow. i been charging my battery for 4 hrs already and it is working fine now but i wanted to ask how long should i leave the charger connected at 2amp or can i just leave it plugged up and leave it charging like over night or something?

thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts