Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into sending my rear shock in for service to refresh.rebuild it. I dont know if my fronts can be redone or not. I have not called pep yet but has anyone had there stocks refreshed or replaced by anyone?
Anyone know how to contact pep I cant googel find nothing on pep shocks

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Fronts aren't rebuildable.

Performance Engineered Products (PEP)
10825 Silicon Ave.
Montclair, CA 91763

Phone: (909) 590-4111
Fax: (909) 590-3866

:google:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info maddog!! When they rebuild/revalve my rear will it be just as good as new or better? Im looking into upgradeing stuff but cant afford any of the aftermarket shocks. I thank I have nearly pushed my limit`s with the stock set up with me being 240lbs as far as jumping and I still fell the urge for wanting to go bigger. I love to have elka`s pep`s are any of the other brands but will have to make do with what I have and what I have is a 4yr old shock system that im sure could be improved by rebuild/revalve but im not sure how much improvement i could get from it. Can anyone tell me if It`s worth it to get the rear rebuilt? Im not a pro rider and cant tell how my shock is compared to back in 03 cause it was stolen for 2yrs and I forgot how it used to ride. I have no problems with it right now other than squeek. I have only bottom out once dureing a huge jump and dont notice anythang wrong with it. I thought sending it in for rebuild/revalve it could improve it and i be able to hit jumps harder and land better. My front shocks have only bottom out once i thank I landed hard one time dureing a big jump and thank i noticed front bottom out. Overall i thank my stockers are in ok shape but would love to improve them any way.

Can the front be improved by differnt springs? Can the back be improved over brand new stock forum by useing differnt spring/revalve
When they rebuild/revalve it is it back to oem forum are better?

I ask way to many questions Im sorry.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had my rear shock rebuilt when I bought new fronts. I got TCS's with the zero preload and the rear needs to match, the zero preload that is. The rebuild was about $450, new dual rate springs and valving. They do a stock rebuild fopr around $300 I think.
There was a marked improvement in back but not as great as the fronts, they were changed from stock to +2 arms and long travel triple rates with rezies. A bit of a change at the very least.
If your only bottoming out on occasion thats fine, you should. Then you know your using all your travel.
If I was choosing between the rear rebuild and saving for new fronts, I'd wait with the rear till it was necessary. The stock rear is a respectable shock, the fronts are not.
With what your looking to spend on the rear wait and find a set of YFZ's, not my personal experience but I've never heard or read of anyone being disappointed in the YFZ upgrade.
Search around for a set of longer a-arms also.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I been calling around on rebuilding back. I got main prices of 150 to rebuild/revalve them one place said they would rebuild for 35 and revalve for 10 plus parts ,, 80-100 for good spring the price seems real low unbeleaveble compared to other companies. they want 35 rebuild 10 to revalve plus parts. the site is http://www.racine-extreme.com/ingram_motorsports.htm anyone know of them? they seem like a good price. Im going to look into some yfz450 shocks for front seems like best rout to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is money the issue? If it is not, I wouldnt waist my money on rebuilding the stock shocks at all... but thats me... A friend of mine just did his on his new 450R and the change is barely noticable... so now he ordered new PEP's..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Unless you know the rear to be blown or damaged I wouldn't bother. Save for wider front arms. Get the rear redone when it's necessary, like if you go with a longer swingarm.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Has anyone had there stock shocks refreshed or rebuilt by pep or anyone else

had really good luck with an elka rebuild on the rear but if your gonna do suspension do it all the way around thought it was good investment but have to have some kind of prelode with the spring thats why they toss the rear old spring and go with the aftermarket ones! same as the fronts no-prelode tryjanssenmotorsports.com ask for joel tell'm mikes#04 sent ya

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.