Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had anyone had any problems with there throttle position sensor? my pcIII reads it is getting a sparatic idle between 0% and 4%. i have soldered the pcIII tps wire so i know i am getting a good connection. i just think that the tps is bad. any opinions??

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
I thought I was having problems until I checked the fuel level. Since it was almost bone dry I filled it up and hadnt had any problems :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had mine dynoed a couple weeks ago, well I tried actually. At idle it was anywhere between 40%-80% and at wide open throttle it was all over the place. Both the dynojet dyno computer showed this and my personal pc. I told the dealer about this and they orderered me a new one installed next week at no cost to me. My quad is a 07 SE.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try resetting the throttle setting in the power commander program. This worked for me. Also when its cold the fuel injection is adding and taking away fuel which is seen in the 2-4% range this will show up on the tp reading.

·
Super Moderator NW Raptor Rally Coordinator
1,379 Posts
I have a bad TPS as well, while I was at the raptor rally I found out why my idle was all over the place. My TPS is showing from 20% to 100% when it should be 0, randy downloaded a new map and worked with it but no go. So I will get a new one and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Let me know what's happening guys and if Yamaha is replacing any of these under warranty. I'm gonna try to find an aftermarket cross reference that is less expensive than the factory TPS. 8)
Kenny

·
1,379 Posts
Kenny thank you for the heads up, I think factory is like $157 but a member is helping me out with a price of $115 + shipping which is still spendy but way better than retail. Kenny is there a chance I can adjust mine or that it could be off after the +2 rebuild? Anyway thank you for looking into this.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
OR Duner, did you ever get a chance to check yours with a multi meter and see if it was within specs? I would definitly check out everything just to make sure my suspicion of a bad TPS is in fact what it is before you spend the coin on a new sensor. The service manual gives you the voltage range to adust it to as well as the resistance to see if the sensor falls within specs or needs to be replaced. Good luck getting it fixed and remember to re set it in the PCIII software once you have it adjusted or replaced :thumbsup:

Randy

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ORdunner said:
Kenny thank you for the heads up, I think factory is like $157 but a member is helping me out with a price of $115 + shipping which is still spendy but way better than retail. Kenny is there a chance I can adjust mine or that it could be off after the +2 rebuild? Anyway thank you for looking into this.

Chris
Anything is possible my friend, If you look at the sensor there should be a scribed mark on top and bottom of the sensor. I put those there before I disassemble the TB, as a reference. If they are lined up it should be good.......Go ahead and check it with a multimeter like Randy said and if it's bad, I've got a spare I can send :grin_nod:

G

·
If you do soldering on the tps wires you change the resistance reading back to the ecu, might want to use a connector. Just my 02.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
the tps in these go out all the time if you are exposed to alot of moisture. put some conductive gell between the plugs and it will stop this from happening again.

G

·
Would that be dielectric grease? I asked the mechanic about soldering the tps wires. His answer was no to to what I posted.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
yup lol. for some reason i had a brain fart and couldnt remeber that. :lol:

·
1,379 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
OR Duner, did you ever get a chance to check yours with a multi meter and see if it was within specs? I would definitly check out everything just to make sure my suspicion of a bad TPS is in fact what it is before you spend the coin on a new sensor. The service manual gives you the voltage range to adust it to as well as the resistance to see if the sensor falls within specs or needs to be replaced. Good luck getting it fixed and remember to re set it in the PCIII software once you have it adjusted or replaced :thumbsup:

Randy
Randy I will check it out this weekend, I have had lots of work the last week but should have time this week. I checked the marks from kenny and they are lined up, I sure was happy with how the TB looked when I got it back from kenny and do not think that he had anything to do with this as it had the idel problem before I sent it to kenny. I just think it is a bad TBS but will know for sure after I find my DVD manual and specks and test it out. Randy Thank you again for helping me out with this and it was great talking with you at the rally, I sure hope we can have a spring rally.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
ORdunner said:
RaptorRandy27 said:

Randy
Randy I will check it out this weekend, I have had lots of work the last week but should have time this week. I checked the marks from kenny and they are lined up, I sure was happy with how the TB looked when I got it back from kenny and do not think that he had anything to do with this as it had the idel problem before I sent it to kenny. I just think it is a bad TBS but will know for sure after I find my DVD manual and specks and test it out. Randy Thank you again for helping me out with this and it was great talking with you at the rally, I sure hope we can have a spring rally.

Your welcome, it was a pleasure meeing you :thumbsup: Let me know how the TPS issue turns out and if you need any help just shoot me a PM. I think a spring Raptor rally is a great idea, count me in :)

·
1,379 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:

Randy
Update, Just put on the new TPS on to day and it is much better at tracking the TB but with it adjusted all the way to one side the best I can get is 40% so I do not know if I need to reset the PC3 TPS to 0 or what. It is no longer floting or drifting all over but it will not adjust to 0. Where do you enter this in the PC3 software? PS a big thank you to Kosta for getting me the part, hope he sends me his Pay Pal address soon so I can pay for it.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
ORdunner said:
RaptorRandy27 said:

Randy

Update, Just put on the new TPS on to day and it is much better at tracking the TB but with it adjusted all the way to one side the best I can get is 40% so I do not know if I need to reset the PC3 TPS to 0 or what. It is no longer floting or drifting all over but it will not adjust to 0. Where do you enter this in the PC3 software? PS a big thank you to Kosta for getting me the part, hope he sends me his Pay Pal address soon so I can pay for it.

Hook up the 9V battery adapter and your lap top up to your PCIII, Open the PCIII software and go to power commander tools and click on set throttle position. In the box there's an arrow on the left and an arrow on the right with the throttle closed hit the left arrow and it should read zero then got to WOT and hit the arrow on the right it should show 100% click on OK and you should be set.

Randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts