Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv got a hole in my stock radiator. iv never had any trouble with the stock unit keeping my engine cool, but i figured if i had to get a new one i would possibly upgrade. there are some $100 oversize units on ebay, and there are some expensive aftermarket units out there......but i cant justify 350+ for a radiator. my other option is getting a used oem unit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/oversize-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-full-aluminum-radiator-/290613105297?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9e41291

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
i have one, so far its has worked? fit well, looks ok, but it is not a full welded aluminum rad. it is twice as thick single row rad. if i leave it idle the fan cycles less the stock rad did, so i am thinking its efficency is a little better.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just bought one and received it the other day, I haven't installed it yet but if it holds water I'll be happy. It looks decent though.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep checking e-bay. I found a brand new OEM for $80.00. A larger radiator cant hurt if the price i right.
well the "bigger is better" concept i dont totally believe with these radiators. i have rode trails HARD here in ND. it doesnt get 110* here, but iv rode hard in the 90s and according to my trailtech im around 180-200* all day long, which is perfectly fine in my opinion. the hardest my raptor has ever had it is in the dunes. we make it out to st. anthony's in idaho a couple times per year, and that sand is a workout.....no secret for you duners... i like to do alot if hill climbing/racing against my buddies, and it would get warm enough for the fan to kick in while playing on the hills. BUT it was far from ever overheating.

oem is perfectly fine with me......its just the question of should i get used oem for $100, or NEW aftermarket for $100?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now(on the ebay radiator). I had a clamp come loose at the dunes and lost just a little coolant and ended up blowing the head gasket. If you have a larger radiator it would gain you a little more time to notice.

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now(on the ebay radiator). I had a clamp come loose at the dunes and lost just a little coolant and ended up blowing the head gasket. If you have a larger radiator it would gain you a little more time to notice.
Did your over temp light come on prior to damage?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I plan on trying this "oversized" ebay radiator after this weekend. I just found a leak in my stock radiator. I patched it so it hopefully holds for the last Silver Lake Sand Dune trip.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i bought mine from a seller in asia....been riding out in the dez for a yr, no problems. I did have to elongate the holes on the mounting tabs though...no big deal. I sold my oem radiator for more than the oversize one...so i actually made some money on the deal. Re-use ur stock cap...the one they give u is junk

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are numerous sellers on ebay selling these....but it appears as if there are only two different radiators. they are hard to tell the differences between the two other than the price. one is around 100 and the other is around 200. i might gamble with the $100 unit.... iv been looking for a used one for about 3 days, and no solid deals have came through yet....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got some 9/8.5 wheels with sand paddles the paddles are AT20x11-9R and I need some all terrain tires could I possibly just order the same size tire in the tread I need

1 - 15 of 15 Posts