Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going on our 1st Hatfield-McCoy trip and wish for input on tire size. I normally ride 20" Holeshots but wonder if they'll provide enough ground clearance for those trails. I can borrow a set of 22s. Anyone have experience to offer?

Also, do you carry extra fuel on the trail or is a full tank enough? Any other suggestions to consider before we leave?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
What trail you going on? some trails are completely different from others.

I have rode the Buffalo Mountain and Little Coal River Trails, so I might give you some idea of the type of terrain, but as for tires I can't do that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What trail you going on? some trails are completely different from others.

I have rode the Buffalo Mountain and Little Coal River Trails, so I might give you some idea of the type of terrain, but as for tires I can't do that.
Input of any type is welcomed. What trails do you reccommend? We plan to ride 2-3 days with three or four adults on sport quads. We are driving up in an RV so we need a place to camp too.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I rode from Gilbert to Mann last year on the trails, with 20's no issues. Didn't take any gas, once we hit Mann we just pulled through the gas station there. Due to the type of trails, you won't be going balls to the walls, so your fuel mileage should be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I have rode Buffalo Mountain, its step and some loose rock, minimal sand, lots of dirt and mud. This was not an easy ride for my wife whom is a beginner and I really did not enjoy it too much.
We stayed in Williamson WV just on the Kentucky border, on the way home we stopped at little coal river and I can tell you, that was fun for the both of us, sand, dirt, mud, gravel and some nice climbs too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I been to all but 1 system..Youll be fine with the 20s..The 22 would work but in some areas ya just got to watch.

Buffalo mt is great but the trail are getting rough,try going to man and riding hanging rock there alittle better right now.Was just there last weekend..

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
www.foxatvlodge.com = weak website but GREAT people! Nice rooms that include washer and dryer, on the river and a short ride to the Rockhouse Trail Head. IMO Rockhouse is where you go to ride, and the Pinnacle/Indian Ridge are where you go to enjoy the view. Mann is like the wild west compared to Gilbert :lol:

We also stayed at Ashland Resort which was a little more rustic but VERY nice all the same. Not a lot of amenities but a great get away. oh, and forget cell coverage here, but they have great wifi :lol:

Cant wait to go back to HM!

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80764

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips and links. It looks like we're taking two Raptor 700s, a 660, and maybe a big King Quad. If we find room, we may pack a trusty LTZ 400 as a spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts